Greetings From Idaho / Montana - New Detectorist

Bash

Greetings everyone!

Newly minted detectorist here.  I live in Moscow, ID, but spend a great deal of time in the Helena, MT area.  I started prospecting for gold a little over a year ago, and decided I would add a metal detector to my toolset, not only for gold, but also for relics and coins.  I’m currently hunkered down in Helena, socially distancing, watching a lot of YouTube, and Netflix.

I’m also learning to use the new Equinox 800 I received a mere four days ago!  This forum/website is mostly responsible for my Equinox purchase. I wanted a machine I could use for gold AND relic and coin hunting, and the info I was able to glean from all the posts and articles here helped me to make an informed decision.  Thanks for that! The learning curve of the machine and the hobby is a bit steep, but very manageable, and again the forums and website make it all a damn sight easier!

I’m currently staying with a friend in an 1890’s house, and have been detecting her yard the last couple of days. And I’ve found my first two non-trash pieces.  A small enameled piece of jewelry, and an old chinese coin! I’m very excited to explore more of the yard when the recent snow disappears, and it warms up again!

I’m sure I’ll have some questions along the way, but so far I’ve been able to get a lot of answers just exploring the site.  If anybody is in the Helena, MT, or Moscow, ID area, and wants to share some knowledge and detecting time, I’d totally be up for it!  

Best luck to everyone, and stay safe out there!

Mark

Broach.jpg

Coin.jpg

• Like 6

Welcome, Bashin!  You're off to a great start, both with your detector and also posting your finds here.  Very few new members show photos in their very first post.

I've done pretty well searching outside the back door.  Even better under the clotheslines -- never failed to turn up old coins (plural!) under clotheslines.

• Like 4

Good job on the finds Bashin, Welcome to the best forum on the old interweb. This site is a great place to be. You'll find hundreds of great topics with some really great advice. If you have any questions just ask, we're all here to help. That enameled piece is pretty nice, could be from the late 1880's. Good luck on future finds!!!

• Like 2

Welcome Mark I hope to hear more stories of the finds that you recover. The 800 is a great system and I know that you will enjoy it.

• Like 3

Greetings and great choice on the Equinox!  I have a sister that lives outside Helena and live in the Moscow area.  Don't get to crazy with settings on the detector, learn the factory programs and move on from there.  The equinox will definitely do its job, just learn what it is saying to you and don't worry about going over the same area 1,2, 3 or even more times - nobody gets it all!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Majuba Man said:

Greetings and great choice on the Equinox!  I have a sister that lives outside Helena and live in the Moscow area.  Don't get to crazy with settings on the detector, learn the factory programs and move on from there.  The equinox will definitely do its job, just learn what it is saying to you and don't worry about going over the same area 1,2, 3 or even more times - nobody gets it all!

Majuba Man,

You live in the Moscow area?!  I'd love to connect when I get back over there. Gonna hunker down in Helena for a couple of months, but should be back over there early summer.  I'm not getting crazy on the settings with the Nox, just trying to figure out what it is telling me in Park 1... Lol  Did find my first coins in the parking strip yesterday - 1919 wheats.  Pretty sure there's some silver out there too, but it started to snow and dinner was on, so I didn't dig the signals. May get a chance this afternoon, but for sure tomorrow.

Bashin

Good job on finding the wheats, I always figure if I can find 4 or more wheats in front of one house hitting curb strips there is a good possibility of silver.  I went back to one spot 2 times before I scored  the silver, got 2 mercury dimes, just takes time and listening to what the nox is saying. Maybe we can get together when you get back to this time zone lol...

• Like 3