More Change, Silver, And A Ring

10 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I don't know how you do it, I spend hundreds of hours digging thousands of coins and rarely ever find a ring 🙂  I'd be happy to find a  costume jewellery ring just so I know rings get lost around here!

Nothing special that I do that you don't. I guess it's just like real estate... location, location, location. Funny, I would love to pick a field clean of silver coins.

Because you detected gold before, you have not been detecting coins for very long I believe. You have mastered that very quickly. When I started detecting years ago with a Whites MXT, I never found rings. I mistakenly only listened for the coins. Another detectorist told me that he found many rings with the MXT. When I switched to an AT Pro, I was able to gel with that machine and found my first gold ring. Then, my G2 was next with some rings. The e-trac turned up a few after that. The Equinox just seems to have a special ability to cover the ground while just nailing the rings. I guess I tend to cover more ground with the 15" coil so there is more chance of swinging over a ring. Try covering more ground by reducing the depth you are going. Turn the sensitivity down so you are hitting only the top 3-4 inches and then go to a ball field and swing, swing, swing.

• Like 3

Nice finds and a good hunt.

When I get to feeling better I am going to hit the parks again, but for now I can't even pick up my detector. Found out that I have a bulging disc in my neck, and I tore my left trap muscles.

• Sad 2
  • Oh my! 1

9 hours ago, 2Valen said:

When I get to feeling better I am going to hit the parks again, but for now I can't even pick up my detector. Found out that I have a bulging disc in my neck, and I tore my left trap muscles.

I pray you heal quickly. Were your injuries related to metal detecting?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 2Valen said:

Sorry to hear/read that. Best of luck on a quick recovery!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Againstmywill said:

I guess I tend to cover more ground with the 15" coil so there is more chance of swinging over a ring. Try covering more ground by reducing the depth you are going. Turn the sensitivity down so you are hitting only the top 3-4 inches and then go to a ball field and swing, swing, swing.

If I go deeper, I may find some rings. The problem with pulling up really deep rings is that by the time you investigate the target and dig down deep, someone who is searching for more recent drops (those in the last year or two) will have been able to recover 5 targets. If I find a gold ring for every 1,000 digs, that would likely hold true if I dug deeper. However, the time it took to do so would be 5 times longer. To me, it's all about covering the most ground on the fields. If I were searching for silver coins or relics, I would completely change my style to match. 

• Like 1