Fisher F19 Versus Makro Racer 2

For the same money (roughly), similar original manufacturing date and it has all the simple features like target ID in all metal, more tones and one button mode changes that are missing on the F19/Time Ranger, I would rather have a Makro Racer 2. It has many more features that are not on any FTP detector that I know of.  That's why I bought one used. I wanted to compare it to my F19 and Patriot. I do wish it was 19 kHz and had a little bigger iron range. Otherwise, it is just as sensitive on small gold with the smaller coils in all my testing as my F19 and much more sensitive than the Patriot at roughly the same frequency.

Jeff 

nokta-makro-racer-2-metal-detector.jpg

nokta-makro-racer-2-control-panel-display.jpg

fisher-f19-metal-detector-7-11-dd-coil.jpg

• Like 3

One of the seemingly unique things about Nokta/Makro is that they don't seem to be concerned about building models which compete with their own brethren.  Nokta Impact, Makro Kruzer, Makro Anfibio, Makro Simplex have all been released since the Racer 2.  I see from the detector database that the (new) price is down to $424, just squeeking ahead of the "...under $400" designation.

One of the (many) compliments the Teknetics T2 and Fisher F75 received for their ergonomics was the location and thus ease-of-use of the pinpoint switch.  The Racer 2 apparently copied that.  Wish other manufacturers had done the same....

I must admit to a tinge of guilt that I've never yet owned a Nokta/Makro detector.  My cupboard is full right now, but my eyes are open.  (Wallet -- well that's a different story.  😅)

• Like 2

As my link above notes I absolutely love the Racer 2 control scheme. My only niggle is that rear mount volume control/power switch. I’d rather have seen a touchpad power on, and volume in with the other settings.

The Racer 2 and it’s 100 point target id spread and detailed notching remind me of my Whites detectors, like the XLT or DFX for example. An excellent jewelry detector for trashy areas by notching out particular pesky items for those into such things. See Clive Clynicks books on the XLT and DFX for specific jewelry notching techniques that will translate almost perfectly to the Racer 2.

If I did not have to have a DFX/V3i to run my Bigfoot coil, I’d for sure have a Racer 2 instead as a jewelry detector.

I have a soft spot in my heart for simplicity however, and for a lot of what I do the First Texas 19 kHz series resonates strongly with me. Just pick up and go get the job done with minimum fuss, light weight, extra strong external speaker, a machine I’m happy to use without headphones in places where the noise won’t bother other people. The basic models suit me quite well, but there is one feature in the Time Ranger/F19/G2+ that I crave. The volume control with separate ferrous tone volume. The basic 19 kHz models (Gold Bugs, G2) have an extra loud speaker but no volume control at all. That ferrous volume in particular lowers the barrage of ferrous low tones in dense trash, and is the one feature I always missed on the earlier units. The other extra features are nice but I doubt I’d use them much. The ferrous volume, that’s the ticket.

I should note the Racer 2 has more advanced tone options than the F19 by far... I’m just highlighting why I like the newer 19 kHz models more than the older 19 kHz FT designs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

(Regarding the) First Texas 19 kHz series: (some text removed)  The basic models suit me quite well, but there is one feature in the Time Ranger/F19/G2+ that I crave. The volume control with separate ferrous tone volume. The basic 19 kHz models (Gold Bugs, G2) have an extra loud speaker but no volume control at all. That ferrous volume in particular lowers the barrage of ferrous low tones in dense trash, and is the one feature I always missed on the earlier units. The other extra features are nice but I doubt I’d use them much. The ferrous volume, that’s the ticket.

When I use (mostly past tense) the Gold Bug Pro for coin hunting I prefer to set the tone break just below US 5-cent piece ("nickel") -- nickels TID around 58 (from memory).  However, on the Gold Bug, the discrimination threshold is tied to the tone break.  Like many detectorists, I prefer to hear all metal targets when I hunt, so with the Gold Bug I'm either forced to set my tone break at 40 (or below), which is nominally the ferrous --> non-ferrous breakpoint, or I'm prevented from hearing the lowest TID's of the ferrous range.

That shortcoming (IMO) was alleviated with the F19 by decoupling the discrimination threshold level and the tone break level, allowing them to be independently set.  Combining this with the ferrous tone volume control mentioned in the quote above leads to a more acceptable coin detecting experience available on the F19/G2+/TRP.

• Like 3