New Minelab Detectors Coming

Jin

On 11/29/2020 at 12:58 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I sure was hoping for an Equinox 1000 or whatever replaces the CTX 3030, but looks like my Equinox 800 will have to hold out for a while longer.

This 

In my opinion, a new advanced Minelab coin detector ... a class higher than Equinox is already being tested ... but it is possible that Minelab may postpone the introduction of this advanced detector to a later date ...

At the beginning of the new year, perhaps we will know something more specific ..

1 hour ago, EL NINO77 said:

In my opinion, a new advanced Minelab coin detector

What information do you have that helped you form that opinion? Interested...

Certain functions that the new coin detector from Minelab, presented by Mr. Tom Dankowski, could have are based on documentary testing of these functions, as well as possibilities .. and are strongly based on specific physical rules but also technical parameters ... that the detector must have incorporated in detector hardware and software ..

I myself consider such a direction to be highly innovative .. it is a development of a possibility .... which can bring multifrequency ..

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think the Equinox 800 is a incredible detector, but being a gear nerd I'm hoping Minelab releases a new high end coin machine soon. I personally think the Etrac and CTX are probably still the top notch machines for strictly searching for and identifying silver coins. They are both getting long in the tooth, and are both kind of clunky in their form factor. My guess is their sales have decreased dramatically since the Equinox was released.       

On 1/7/2021 at 5:14 PM, longbow62 said:

I personally think the Etrac and CTX are probably still the top notch machines for strictly searching for and identifying silver coins.  My guess is their sales have decreased dramatically since the Equinox was released.       

That equinox sure seems to be a winner whether it be coins or gold.. a true do-it-all machine?  Being biased towards my Etrac, I have to add that it does very well at id'ing all the other non silver coins usually found in the turf.  Etrac is also a nickel knockin sob!  IMO...the Etrac still holds a top rung in the coin shooting arena....jmo.

• Like 1

I read in another forum that Minelab is intressted to implement a new technology in an upgraded Equinox in the future which shows even the density of the object.By having this option it becomes easier to distinguish between a gold item and a piece of aluminium trash maybe? 

2 hours ago, PPP said:

I read in another forum that Minelab is intressted to implement a new technology in an upgraded Equinox in the future which shows even the density of the object.By having this option it becomes easier to distinguish between a gold item and a piece of aluminium trash maybe? 

The  DP thread that points to that discussion in the Dankowski forum is here.  Don't know if Minelab is really interested in that "new technology", but it was actually Tom Dankowski's reach for the moon idea.

It's nice to dream but not something that is likely to be able to be accomplished using the induction balance principle alone.  Lunk explains one method for doing it here.  We've really just about hit the top of the curve of what you can do with induction balance (more commonly called VLF detectors as differentiated from the Pulse Induction principle).  Perhaps you can continue to tweak signal processing and bring in some of the target ID and discrimination sophistication of the FBS2 detectors.  But once everyone starts releasing their own flavor of simultaneous multifrequency (first Garrett, next Nokta (?)) then there really isn't that much more that can accomplished with the technology short of bringing in some sort of hybrid technology device that incorporates induction balance and say...ground penetrating radar.  In other words, something that can sense target density would really not look anything like an Equinox or any other VLF detector because the technology required would be radically different.

47 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

We've really just about hit the top of the curve of what you can do with induction balance (more commonly called VLF detectors as differentiated from the Pulse Induction principle).  Perhaps you can continue to tweak signal processing....

I think another way to say this is:  are detectors making the most of the information they have available?  If 'no' then improved signal processing would lead to progress.  Often the standard answer goes something like "you can't fight physics."  This has been pointed out when people want to apply more power to gain depth -- the 6 exponent restriction usually illustrated with "if you want to double the depth you need to increase the power input by 2^6 = 64".  (I think I got that right....)  But as we all (hopefully) know, there are improvements that don't require raw depth which can help find more good targets.  Better unmasking is one, and maybe the information to do that is already available but just not being maximally utilzed.  That's my hope anyway.

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Better unmasking is one, and maybe the information to do that is already available but just not being maximally utilzed.  That's my hope anyway.

You've mentioned this several times, Chuck.  Mostly, this has been addressed primarily by improved responsiveness also know as recovery speed, taking advantage of improvements in processing power.  The Equinox does a pretty good job also with target "spills" (multiple targets "in the hole") by alerting to multiple target IDs and using coil control to "zero in" on the desirable target.  Signal processing advances and disc/target ID improvements a la FBS2 might be able to help here - so there might be some ability to wring more out of IB tech through improved filters (a la iron bias), audio, and possibly graphics.  But what about targets that are masked vertically?  Then there is not much one can do about that.  You can't necessarily see through an iron "wall" by improved signal processing.  In that case, you have basically reached the limit of the induction balance principle and have to use something else.  OTOH - if you can detect the masking target in the first place, your best bet is to just recover it and clear it out of the way.  In this case the detector did at least reveal the presence offending target in the first place.  Nevertheless, I personally am amazed at what the manufacturers have wrung out of the frankly "crude" induction balance principle to bring it to today's level of sophistication for treasure hunting.

Besides masking, if there are ways to improve IB ultimate Target ID depth in mineralized soils, that would also be a good thing.