New Minelab Detectors Coming

Jin

My guess, looking at past timelines from Codan's presentations (like the picture in my original post) and comparing them to this recent timeline is that the new detector should be released around June/July 2021. As far as I can make out (again comparing how Minelab communicate future releases via the timelines) we should only expect one product to be released at that time, not the 5 products currently under development.

I'm hoping for an SDC type machine in a housing similar to the gold monster. The managing director of Minelab told me a couple of years ago they were playing around with that idea but were too busy working on the equinox at the time. Every time I get out detecting and meet guys in the field I'm amazed at how good the SDC is. I just don't like its awkward design at present but would buy one if it was in a design more user friendly

****stay safe everyone****

• Like 3

A Nox 800 with a more powerful battery and a faster microprocessor  (i.e. deeper penetration, better discrimination, faster detection speed) would work for me

6 hours ago, Randy Lunn said:

A Nox 800 with a more powerful battery and a faster microprocessor  (i.e. deeper penetration, better discrimination, faster detection speed) would work for me

More powerful battery on the Nox (or any other VLF induction balance detector for that matter) does not increase its depth.  (See this post)    The Nox can't get much faster on recovery speed either (diminishing returns).  Agree that more sophisticated discrimination settings and improved target ID information like on the dTrac and CTX would be a beneficial improvement.

On 4/6/2020 at 6:16 AM, EL NINO77 said:

I think it will be new models of the class:

1. new GPZ ...detector

2. new GPX ...detector

3. new CTX  detector- double-digit multi-IQ  "ID".... , on.. / 3khz-30khz / technology...

4. new Equinox model / EQ1000 /...- double-digit.. multi-IQ ID?  , on .. / 5 khz-40khz / technology..

5. new Gold detector  model ..with Gold multi-IQ on .. / 10khz-80khz / technology...

It's just my rough estimate of development ...

Well let's  see.  Minelab was supposed to produce 3 coils for the gpz.  They obviously can't count.  So, no I wouldn't put a lick of salt in their numbers and charts.  I love and hate Minelab equally for the games they play with their products.

Perhaps when Randy said "a more powerful battery" he was wanting a higher capacity battery, with longer run-time ? While the battery life on the EQX is fine for most folks, there are definitely some who would want twice the existing run-time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PimentoUK said:

Perhaps when Randy said "a more powerful battery" he was wanting a higher capacity battery, with longer run-time ? While the battery life on the EQX is fine for most folks, there are definitely some who would want twice the existing run-time.

Perhaps, but I was reacting specifically to his "deeper penetration" comment.  Neither a more powerful battery nor improved microprocessor would improve depth performance, as we are basically at the limits of what the induction balance principle for metal detecting can provide depth wise.

Regarding the battery itself, I hear what you are saying but even on a few 12+ hour marathon relic detecting days I have never managed to run the battery to zero from a full charge.  And I have had multiple back-to-back multi hour days without needing to re-charge in between. I do take breaks for lunch etc., and if I am running without a full charge from the beginning, have juiced it up during those breaks with a portable power bank or on the drive to the site if I forgot to top off the night before and anticipate an all day hunt.  I have never taken advantage of the capability to charge on-the-fly while detecting, so that is another "emergency backup" capabilty I have never had to exercise. 

IMO A larger capacity battery would just permanently add weight to the machine for no practical purpose based on my 2+ years using the machine.  Battery capacity has been a non-issue so far for me.  I know others, though, who have complained about the battery pooping out 8 to 10 hours into a hunt from a full charge.  Regardless, I personally don't see the need to take on the weight penalty or a larger diameter handle to stow it in, already too big for me as it is. I wouldn't mind an ergonomic redesign of the integrated control panel, handle now that I think about it and to be fair, battery technology advances might just allow a higher capacity battery of the same weight and volume to be fitted as a one-for-one form, fit replacement.  But I would rather see them take advantage of the advances in battery tech to use a smaller physical size battery of the same capacity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I have never taken advantage of the capability to charge on-the-fly while detecting, so that is another "emergency backup" capabilty I have never had to exercise. 

IMO A larger capacity battery would just permanently add weight to the machine for no practical purpose based on my 2+ years using the machine.  Battery capacity has been a non-issue so far for me.  I know others, though, who have complained about the battery pooping out 8 to 10 hours into a hunt from a full charge.  Regardless, I personally don't see the need to take on the weight penalty or a larger diameter handle to stow it in, already too big for me as it is.

The charge-on-the-fly option from a portable recharger actually solves another issue -- balance.  The charger can be mounted on the underside of the arm-cuff/stand.  So those wanting longer run life at the expense of weight, but with improved balance, already have a solution.

You mention the battery in the handle on the current model, which I suppose ML thought was a good idea.  But for those of us who prefer a handle with smaller girth, it's an unneccessary discomfort.  My 2nd most uncomfortable handle is the one on the ML X-Terra.  Do Australians have extra large hands (e.g. to easily hold a stein of beer)?  😏

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Looks like two detectors to me now, the MF5, and the GPX 6000. And with the MF5 already pulling a sneak release, it's really just the GPX 6000 we are waiting on. I sure was hoping for an Equinox 1000 or whatever replaces the CTX 3030, but looks like my Equinox 800 will have to hold out for a while longer.

• Like 3