To Waterproof Or Not To Waterproof

Some of us want waterproof detectors but others like me that don’t plan to get their feet wet say no to it .

I make a statement on another post that I’d buy back into the Nox 800 but don’t need it Waterproof. I don’t want something less of a detector than the 800 is now. The battery could be in the handle that would make it easy to replace. I said too I’d like to have this at the 600 price.

I had the MX Sport and had good luck detecting with it and it too was waterproof. The trouble with the Sport it carried a lot of weight for a older guy. Then Whites came out with the MX7 that had all the Sport offered but just not waterproof. The problem for me it only lost a half pound. I find if I stay three pounds are less I just last longer in the field.

I’d like to see Whites come out with a battery system like Minelab and others to cut down the weight. This way us 39 and holding guys would buy back into their top end detectors.

I’ve got my Simplex + if I want to get wet .

Chuck 

I like the user replaceable batteries (AA, especially). I think what Minelab did with the battery in the Equinox is just another attack against DIY or self-help movements. From an engineering POV, I get it. At the very least, at least replacing the battery is relatively straightforward.

And like you, I don't need waterproofness. However, I crave it. I know it adds extra weight, but having those extra seals really comforts me and it's something I'm willing to deal with even if it comes with a little bit of extra weight. As much as I want a waterproof machine, it doesn't mean I'm willing to pay double the price or carry double the weight. It's all about trade-offs.