My Nugget Detecting Kit

My setup is much similar, except I use a droid phone for GPS & mapping, carry a Sat phone. Carry 3 x 1L plastic canteens, plus never without The Hipstick with MLs bungee. I have found it adds hours to my detecting day. 

Hey Fred! I was wishing I DIDN'T have a backhoe on my last trip. McQ worked me to death!

Road dog There is something that works better than a Hip Stick. Simply have C.Porter detect for you.

Thanks Steve. Your post gets me to thinking about not "flappin' in the breeze" like I'm prone to do.

On 9/8/2015 at 5:59 PM, flakmagnet said:

Hi Steve,

I like the hydro pack you wear.

It is pretty hard to find an outfit that will sell just one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

They apparently are made just to be used as promotional items like Minelab did. A couple outfits offer to sell singles as "samples" though. http://www.motivators.com/Promotional-Custom-UrbanPeakHybridHydropack-90166.html? I like mine enough I may just try and get another for when I wear this one out. Lots of other pack options out there however.

How funny I have spent the last hour looking at a new day pack  to use just for detecting. And here you post up a very nice KISS post.

Beats sharing the Coyote calling pack or spending unnecessary money on another one.

Thank you Steve you are a wealth of information.

Nice write-up on the essentials Steve.

I've never used a camel-back type pack but intend to. Just makes sense to incorporate the water into the pack. Over many years of land surveying in remote areas, another item I've found very useful is a small mirror compact. It has always been a good signaling tool, not so much now that we have all sorts of mobile electronic devices, but it has also served me well for tending facial and eye injuries.

Mike

• Like 1

Nice setup! Do you have to arm yourself with bear spray or gun when in alaska? Or are there no bears in that vicinity.

Unfortunately some places I go I have to protect myself ( personal choice) from stealthy mountain lions which I was attacked by a pair 20 years ago. And trinity co. Also has crazy pot growers and tweekers. I have had a couple incidents that looked like it was about to get ugly till they seen my partner and I guns. This has all been on public land. Its a wild jungle out here.

Other then that I use a similar gear. I also carry in my backpack a spare coil cover, coil bolts, battery cover etc.

Ill be glad when im done with long hours and all the projects I got going on so I can get back at it. Thanks for sharing

Steve,a very good post,these days i can only detector for long periods of time with a full harness,i do have and use a GPX style full harness as well as a backpack harness like yourself for when i am out on a all day detecting trip,keep the basics just in case accidents happen etc,the toilet paper one is a very important accessory.

Only one thing that i am not sure about your packpack is the water bladder,never used one myself so cannot be 100% sure,but do you have too sterilise the bladder and pipework in any way as bacteria can and could cause problems,so i would guess they do have to be cleaned thoroughly in some way ???

If i am just out for a few hours but in-sight of the truck then i dont bother with the main full harness i tend to use a cut down version if that makes sense,no need for waterproofs or any major other gear as it would usually be just a few minutes walk back to the 4x4,but when i am out on say a full days detecting then the fully equiped backpack/harness is used.

Of course mine does not have a water bladder in the back as over here in the UK we dont have deserts or gold fields :D  but we do of course have gold coins/artifact so no pick is not used,we of course hunt and recover finds differently to you folks.

Must admit i do carry a mobile phone albeit its switched off most of the time to stop problems of EMI with the detector,GPS is carried so we can mark the hoards if we find one.

Must admit although we mostly do different styles of detecting this is one of my favourite forums.

I know one thing, doing the research  to find the stuff you want can be a pain in the butt.
Here is what I have been using, good old amazon.

Pack 25 bucks Down the page a bit got pack & bladder $43.73
Lancer Tactical Light Weight Hydration Backpack

post-411-0-91707300-1441796089_thumb.jpg

Bladder 18 bucks, The bladder is separate and fits this backpack. 
Condor 2.5L Bladder

post-411-0-13560700-1441796117_thumb.jpg

• Like 1