As most of you guys noticed I make and sell picks, this all came about from me making picks for myself and other detectorist wanting to know where they could get one.

So I would like to know, 

What are you using? 

What do you like about it? 

What do you dislike? 

What handle length, inches?

How about a picture of your pick.

Ivan

I use the medium and large hermit pick thatBill Southern sells...it is light-weight, strong and has a nice scoop...the only thing it lacks is a place where the magnet cannot slide away from....pics of the picks and the wall that they helped me build...

fred

post-77-0-16318900-1441805868_thumb.jpg

post-77-0-49192500-1441805926_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I have a similar pick designed like those.

Ivan

I fabricated this pick a 3 months ago. It's an idea I had for a few years and finally followed through on. It was pricey to build but it does a great job grabbing up iron and it's easy to wipe off the metal and black sands. The underside magnets are 1/8 thick the large outside mag. is 1/4 thick.

post-619-0-06886300-1441807576_thumb.jpg

post-619-0-41130100-1441807621_thumb.jpg

Don't make me start yelling, thats it for the responses?

Ivan 

I have a bunch of picks but you will have to wait a couple days for a picture and commentary. Kind of busy right now.

• Like 1

Glad you didnt misspell 'picks'...haha. I use an Apex, the smaller one. Love it.

• Like 3

Guest Paul (Ca)

I'll show a pic of my pick once I find it, just recently purchased it a few months ago. It's heavy, off balanced handle feels terrible but was needed at the moment. I am looking for a light weight pick, my old trusty one was lost up in gold country so currently using the off balanced one.

Paul

Guest Paul (Ca)

I may look into the Apex pick Ray, anything is better than my current one.

Fred, nice wall good job there!

Guest Paul (Ca)

Ivan, I may consider one of your picks in the near future. Taking a break from serious detecting for the moment, an looking for a better pick to be honest.

Paul

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Compass
      Hello, I am looking for a beach rake like the one in this video but will consider other designs. Thanks!
      Added by Steve H, previous threads:
      https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/2544-coolest-rake-ever/
      https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/11582-raking-for-gold-on-the-beach-and-in-the-water/

• By Steve Herschbach
      The handle on my trusty old stainless steel scoop finally broke. The scoop is fine, but the handle is a custom curved 7/8" aluminum tube. I made a trip to Home Depot - nothing like that in stock. Looked at a piece on Amazon - shipping is killer on stuff 40" long. It was going to be like $50 delivered.
      I figured I could find something locally for less, but did not want to bother with it at the moment. I decided that I had $50 I might want to spend on a new scoop instead. Has to be stainless steel, and my new criteria is that I want to be able to bolt any straight handle on it that I want - wood, metal, fiberglass, whatever.
      I've looked at highly recommended scoops like the Stealth 720, but I have to admit $250 seems a bit much for a scoop to me. A bit of Googling and I saw one that looked fine, and the price was more to my liking. The $99.95 Scoopal Sand Scoop. I had a 10% off coupon from Serious Detecting, and after free shipping this scoop showed up in two days for $89.95, U-bolts included. I like that! It is well built, looks plenty stout enough to me. I happened to have an old wood handle already in my pile of pick parts, and so I bolted it on. The scoop has been on two outings so far, and I am quite happy with it. The holes are a little smaller than my old scoop, so it gathers more gravel, but is also way easier to recover tiny stuff like .22 shell casings that slipped through the old scoop.
      Anyway, if you are looking for a scoop without spending the big bucks this scoop is worth a look. I have zero regrets on this purchase.

• By AlbyM
      Hi all,
      I just bit the bullet and purchased a Nemo Blu3 portable dive system as another tool in my metal detecting arsenal. For those who don't know about the Nemo, here are a couple of videos that show what it can do:
      I'd love to compare notes with those here who are using a Nemo Blu3 with their Nox underwater. I haven't used it yet myself as I had to put it in my shipment to Vietnam, where I will be starting a new job in a couple of months. So I'm just doing a lot of research at this point.
      The only problem I am hearing so far is that the Nox can be difficult to hear underwater over the Nemo Blu3 regulator whether you use the Minelab "yellow" underwater headphones or don't use headphones at all. For anyone using the Nemo with their Nox (or diving at all), have you been able to find an alternative underwater headphone with better sound or another workaround? Thanks in advance!
    • By phrunt
      Thanks for that, very interesting.  It shows if Tarsacci wanted to make a gold prospecting detector based off that technology they could.
      I also very much like your scoop, that's very similar to the perfect design scoop I want to get. 
    • By pinpointa
      Hi Guys,
      Has any members got or used the Radius Root Slayer coin hunting. Have noticed they have a very narrow one which tapers in which would give you a small hole.
      Regards .
    • By Doc
      This is a demonstration of the Gold SPOT™ being used as a portable gold pan.  It's extremely effective.  Don't worry about the first few minutes where I am out of frame.  Leo Aranza, my buddy, takes over and the rest of the video is well framed. -Doc