Show Me Your Pick

Ivan I am not too sure about them ??

This Walco pick is the one I want Note the Curve and the size of the Blade and they have a piece of 38mm tubing that is between 4 to 5 inches log so it protects the handle in case you hit the handle on a rock, and the sides are flat, In OZ they are the industry standard and that steel tube is crushed to make it an Oval shape so the handle does not twist, Like in the picture below,

http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/index.php/our-products/accessories/pick-lesche-tools-trowels-shovel/picks-2/large-walco-pick.html

That's the pick I've been using lately and that's the website I got mine from. The handle is plenty long, which I like. Good for digging deep GPZ holes. However not long after owning it I did tweak the metal pick head a little trying to pry a huge boulder in a wash. It just barely got twisted a little, no biggie.

It's a little thinner steel than an Apex pick, like I was using before, so you can't be too rough on it but for 90% of the stuff I dig it's fine.

That's the pick I've been using lately and that's the website I got mine from. The handle is plenty long, which I like. Good for digging deep GPZ holes. However not long after owning it I did tweak the metal pick head a little trying to pry a huge boulder in a wash. It just barely got twisted a little, no biggie.

It's a little thinner steel than an Apex pick, like I was using before, so you can't be too rough on it but for 90% of the stuff I dig it's fine.

The Picks my Mate made me are 1/4" thick, but I won't use them for prying stuff, I like the curve on the blade that my picks have which is pretty much like the Walco picks, If they had not made the blade so long maybe it might not off bent on you, ?? 

That is my whole deal with a pick, you can't have every thing. If ya make a

pick heavy enough to pry boulders, it is heavy to carry. So I guess one has

to decide ether carry a heavy tool, or ???. I like the 2 to 3 lb which is kind

off a medium use pick. 

My picks are what I would call a medium duty pick, they are not made to bust  through asphalt,  get a 6 lb Mattock pick for that. They where made to be light
 (2-3 lbs) and carry all day, (all ready carrying around a bunch of stuff), and  dig through semi loose rock dirt and sand.

Someone on a other forum asked me about,
any guarantee? that is a rock and a hard place question.. Its a pick
you are slamming it into the ground, you are prying rocks with it..
Yes I will guarantee it, if you don,t abuse it. Pretty hard not to abuse
a pick. I take my pick every now and then an take the grinder to it.

Ivan
  • Like 1

I finished this pick, this is the only one I will make, any body want it, make me an offer, This pick head/neck would make it very easy to replace with a different

point/blade.

Handle 34 inches, scoop box is 6x6 inches, 12 gauge,  point 3x9 inches 1/4 inch, weight 5.2 pounds

It is not going on my website. Email..Me  Ivan@ivan5.net

post-411-0-73199000-1443196522_thumb.jpg

post-411-0-28359200-1443196535_thumb.jpg

post-411-0-24309900-1443196549_thumb.jpg

Ivan

Went out to Greaterville yesterday and my budy convinced me I 

should post this pick. (No nuggys yesterday)

Well, I was not gonna post this, but this is the pick that I use. 

See, being older and beer belly I don't like bending over if I 

don't have to. I have trained my self to detect left hand and

carry pick In right. (I am right handed, would rather dig RH)

This pick seems to cover all the picken criteria, walking stick,

good pry bar for rocks. (A lot of MD guys have mentioned walking

stick) and a pretty good scraper at 45 degree angle. It does not

make a very good seat like my other picks. 

The pick point is 6 inches long and 1/4 inch steel so this thing

is pretty tuff. 31 inch handle.

post-411-0-48724000-1443468762_thumb.jpg

post-411-0-79960400-1443468771_thumb.jpg

post-411-0-51088800-1443468780_thumb.jpg

post-411-0-41725000-1443468790_thumb.jpg

post-411-0-70007700-1443468804_thumb.jpg

post-411-0-11677600-1443468815_thumb.jpg

Ivan

• Like 3

" It does not make a very good seat like my other picks. "

no problem of sliding off your seat by accident if you did happen to sit on it!

​when I'm ready for my next pick I gonna want something like the big scoop with a magnet holder on the top, you make great picks and all the custom work is really nice.

• Like 1

This is a four inch wide blade, 1/4 thick steel, 32 inch handle, really good walking stick.
Stab it in the ground, or push it with one foot, pry back and forth to loosen ground, use 
it like shovel or scrape the dirt out. This is a great way to dig, I am hooked on these.

post-411-0-83193600-1443744992_thumb.jpg

post-411-0-78858600-1443745009_thumb.jpg

Ivan