New Video Of My Wilfley Style Shaker Table Driver

Along with working on the house this winter, I finally got around to drawing-up, and building a new driver for my shaker table.

I really like Wilfley's designs, and wanted my driver to have the same adjustments as his. Working about 4 hours/day, it took me about 2 months to get it drawn and built, along with a few modifications that arose during the build. Finally finished yesterday, and made a video. I'm still polishing up the plans, and will probably have to disassemble it to take pics for the build instructions etc. I'll be selling the plans and, instructions at some point this spring, for the DIY clan.

Jim

• Like 8

I might have to take you up on a set of those plans when they're available, Jim. Tradition and all :)

On a tangentially related note, I've often wondered if the magic that is the Wilfley 'saction could be emulated using a programmable logic controller, drivers, and a linear actuator. 

Best, 

I'm wondering if the actuator could respond fast enough, Jon. Or do you mean as a means to make the adjustments? It may be possible with a solenoid, but getting a solenoid to  move fast in one direction, and then slower in the reverse direction, and doing it 350 times/minute may be difficult. I don't know of a single commercial table that uses that type of drive, though there are jigs that use a hydraulic drive to accomplish the same thing, though with speeds that are 1/3 of a Wilfley table.

Jim

That is an awesome piece of gold finding equipment.

• Like 1

Great job!    You must have had many sleepless nights working on that. I would love to see it in operation.

Norm

• Like 2

Must admit i found that exceptionally interesting,dont have a clue about nugget shaking tables or even what it does,but the engineering skills that you have are off the scale.Really enjoyed the video and thanks for sharing your skills.

• Like 1

I appreciate the kind words from you all. My machining skills are just OK, and my welds looks like something a dog leaves behind, but it all works well enough to use....LOL I'm reasonably competent, but no more than that, and I completely suck at finding gold with a detector, despite my best efforts...Ha!

Jim