Daily Exercise On The Dirt

According to the Mayo Clinic you should shoot for 30 minutes of moderate detecting everyday to loose weight and maintain fitness. Sounds simple enough right? So I decided to get some detecting exercise a couple of days ago. My first spot was a new farm field that was plowed up about a year ago. I instantly got into a lot of coal, and thought this is not going to be fun. After about an hour I hit on a beat up mason jar lid. next came a 32 cal. cartridge case. Another hour and more coal I found a nice mangled spoon. Ten more feet and I got 1/2 of a spoon or fork. I was thinking my god there has to be something good in this field. That's when I found a harness buckle with leather just laying on the surface ( OK maybe I'm  in a better place in the field) NOPE, Two minutes later I found a what I thought was an early 80"s binaca breath spray container which brought back fond memories of my youth. (drive in movies, awkward moments with the opposite sex, ect.) But it turns out it was Bovine mastitis spray made by Schering Co. As a rule of thumb PLEASE do not use mastitis spray as breath a freshener!!!!!!

Next trip out was a place close to home. I decide to swap coils and hunt with the 9 inch to focus on gold jewlery. After digging 2 dozen pull tabs, and I knew they were. I decided I was smart enough to discern the signals, so I stopped the insanity. During my 4 hour hunt I found $1.97 in clad ranging from the 1970's to the 2000's. My first good target was a brass buckle (not gold) Next was a Ford car key (not gold) Next was a very creepy face/head thing that kinda frightened me. (not gold) And last but not least was a small motorcycle in pretty good shape, For being a plastic /metal import. Looks like it's in fair running condition And I would be willing to trade it for a CTX-3030. Any interested parties please do not PM me.  (I forgot, it wasn't gold). Tomorrow I'm just going to Have a beer and a bourbon and give my wife a smooch!!! (And I will not be using the mastitis spray.)  Maybe next time I'll find the GOLD!!!

Seriously, I hope all members and family of this forum are doing well and Staying safe.

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Where was this? Looks like it might be free of trash now heheh.

Hit an old school yard again that had a lot of charcoal from the old farm house that burned down and the town was nice enough to push it all into the field. 2 tone with no discrim and iron audio on 2 seemed to be ok to pick through or the 3 tone mode for me. Still haven't got a grasp on 4 tone. Running no disc you can pick out the iron and audio doesn't spark as much, at least thats how it seems for me.

Kac,

I'm not a big fan of 4 tone or Gen. mode. Both seem to have some depth issue's for me, plus 4 tone is way to busy. The deep mode with the 11'' coil gets me about a true 12'' +  The only thing with that is the unmasking becomes a little unclear at the deeper targets. My soil where I hunt is almost always loaded with coal slag and can fool the unmasking due to the halo effect.

And no its not free from trash yet Ha Ha, Wish it was. I did do the freq. shift and it had 0 effect on the EMI. maybe I need an update? I'm beginning to to think it might be a combination of soil and EMI. I've learned to just listen for the right sounds through all the chatter. Hope your doing well?

• Like 1

I was just joking on the trash. I dig more than my fair share and often I know it is trash and try to thin it out to find other targets. Thinks I skip are the deep beer cans and couple of times my buddies had gone over the spots and found they were cell phones.

Tried the 4 tone and it does have more depth than 3 tone at same gain but I agree it is way too busy even when there are few targets. I had considered the Amphibo with the 99 tone mode and glad I didn't get that, think my mind would snap. I asked Nokta about boosting the VDI to read bit better on depth with the Gen mode but they seemed reluctant. The All Metal mode on the AT Max is similar but the VDI is very good on it compared to the Kruzer. I still prefer the 3 tone in parks and got it to run super quiet and 2 tone and occasionally deep mode when there is a fringe on 2 tone. got gain on 2 tone and deep just about maxed out and no issues with EMI at 19kzh, 14khz i use more in the woods for relic. 3 tone stick between 80-85 on gain which is more than enough for a park.

The one thing I find is in general the Kruzer is very sparky on small objects and mineralization so yes coal and charcoal drive me crazy. Also old iron can really spike the machine.

I used to suffer a lot of EMI issues with my Nel big in many areas and larger coils in general suffer masking issues as you are sampling larger areas. One of the reasons I have been reluctant to get a larger coil for the Kruzer and one of the reasons I got the Kruzer is the punch it has on the smaller coil. That smaller coil is picking up dimes very deep. My other 2 machines are weaker on silver and this machine compliments what I have.

For the chatter it might not be just EMI. First thing is check your wire wrapping. Take the first section of wire from the coil and run it straight the length of the lower pole. Next tie that off with a velcro strap and wind the rest all the way up. When tying it off make sure you have just enough slack so it doesn't bend or tug where it connects to the coil. This is something I needed to do on my Nel to help reduce it's noise. Next you may have a @#$@#$$ load of mineralization in your area so you might have to simply kick up the disc. Default I think is 3. In some areas you may have to up that to the lower teens. Just go over an average area and start nudging it up until the machine quiets down. On the AT series they have a really nice iron disc that works very well as it has a nice fine range of 40 vrs the Kruzer that has maybe 10? Think the Nox has a -9 on theirs.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dogodog said:

My soil where I hunt is almost always loaded with coal slag and can fool the unmasking due to the halo effect.

That stuff will give all types of signals on any machine, some areas around here is really bad with it.

Keep up the hunts and post some more as I can't get out yet.

• Like 1