Old Or New?

With most detectors, the choice is simple: A modern vlf detector is typically superior to an older vlf detector. With the advent of multiple frequencies, better software filtering, more exact displays, better technology. That's not my question.

I had a Minelab SD2000 I bought new. I had done every one of Ismael's Mods. It found lots of gold over the years. It was stolen about four years ago. I miss it and all its  "Idiosyncrasies". LOL Since then, I have gotten a few other detectors. Gold Bug II, a Schiebel MIMID PI Detector, GM4B, GM V/Sat. I have been looking at getting either an Equinox 800 or a Gold Monster (I almost exclusively prospect). While being bored and scrolling through random Ebay Ads, I began to wonder whether I should go with the Equinox, Monster...............or...............maybe a GPExtreme. For a few hundred more, I can get a powerful PI Gold Machine with modern batteries and multiple coils. There are also a crapload of available coils specific to different terrains.

THOUGHTS?

Best - Mike

Why are you limiting your choices to either a modern IB detector or a ~20 year old PI?  Is it simply a budget ceiling at ~$1k?

I'm just looking at all my choices in the $1k-$1.5K area for prospecting. My old SD2000 regularly outperformed much more modern detectors, but after so many years of using it, I knew most of its tricks. 

My Gold Bug II is a master of everything small and shallow. The only issues I ever had with the SD was that I almost needed a caravan to drag everything out necessary for use. If the Nox8 or Monster will do EVERYTHING a GPExtreme will, my question is answered, as I like to pack in my detectors to remote areas, and not have to carry them along with me.

13 minutes ago, gollum said:

If the Nox8 or Monster will do EVERYTHING a GPExtreme will,....

As you note they are IB ("VLF") detectors, not PI's.  So, no, they won't.

14 minutes ago, gollum said:

My Gold Bug II is a master of everything small and shallow.

Sounds like you've got the IB space covered.

15 minutes ago, gollum said:

I'm just looking at all my choices in the $1k-$1.5K area for prospecting.

"I just want to say one word to you, just one word.  Are you listening?"

QED

• Like 1

Okay. I see that Ismael is the Perth Dealer for QED. Do you know if he is associated with the company? I like Ismael a lot, and he knew about everything there was to know about the Minelab SD Series machines. If he was part of the design team, I KNOW the QED is a gold beast!

Mike

Keep the Gold Bug 2, get a good PI to go with it. For me that means the best I can afford. Personally I’d have a very hard time going back to anything older than a GPX 4000, based on the battery system alone if nothing else. QED is an option but I do wish they had U.S. dealers at a minimum, U.S. service would be better yet, but so far they do not.

• Like 5

I agree that's what I did. I bought a used 4500 in a round about way.  I am now retiring from the hunt and am going to be posting it as soon as I qualify for the classifieds. Been a while since I posted. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the advice. I used to be a Minelab Fanboy LOL, but have since gotten less label conscious. I've had eight or nine ML in the last twenty or so years, and only went to other brands for things ML didn't have (Fisher Gemini 3 Two-Box, Fisher Magnetometer,  etc). I've also owned a couple of White's (GM4B, and V/SAT). The reason I am budgeting myself on this is because I REALLY want to see what's going to happen with the Fisher Impulse Terra (or whatever they wind up calling it). Carl says maybe this year or early next. I have the greatest respect for Eric Foster, and have tried to find a decent old Goldmaster 5B for years, but since this new Impulse is based on that same detector, I want to see what happens with it. Although...............this has happened before. I didn't want to drop a load on a GPX because the all new, hotter than hot, super silky, ultra detector ...........THE PULSE DEVIL was just around the corner! No really! Just around the corner. Here it comes......ooooops, sorry, manufacturing problems. OOoopps, ROHS issues. HMMMM shipping issues. Two years later......NEVER MIND! HAHAHA I trust Carl though, so we'll see.

Thanks - Mike