GPZ And SDC Gold From California

One thing I don't understand - I thought the GPZ was effectively a GPX5000/SDC2300 mutant, and then some.

Does the GPZ not detect small gold as well as the SDC?

The GPZ and SDC are pretty close on the smaller gold. The SDC may have a very slight advantage on the really tiny less than a grain stuff, but I've not really tested that - its just an impression. On pieces of even a few grains, I would say the GPZ has the advantage.  The GPZ however is not a PI machine - its a totally different technology. You can read up on some of Steve's older posts on the GPZ for more info.

Awesome finds Chris, congrats!

That's an extremely nice pile of coarse CA gold!!  Generally speaking, did the 2300 or GPZ find the most pieces and which machine found the biggest ones?  I guess what I'd really be interested in knowing is if an SDC would have missed a large percentage of those nuggets?  I have a SDC 2300 and if its able to get most, I won't feel like I'm missing too much when out there.  

Some of the larger pieces were deeper nuggets that nothing but the GPZ 7000 could hear.

Some places I used the SDC because the trash was dense and as I said, the SDC is easier to use when sorting through a trashy area.

It's kind of a meaningless question as each location is different. The situation with my gold might be totally different from the places you search. The SDC is an excellent detector and finds gold very well, you can have confidence that it does a great job seeing shallow to moderate depth gold. For big gold down very deep, the SDC would not be the best choice.