What Makes Multi-iq So Good?

13 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

...People are probably tired of reading my rambling posts anyway....

Here I go again, cherry- and nit-picking your words.  🧐  Definitely not 'rambling' IMO.  But I sometimes skim longer posts, as can be seen by my above post which missed your more detailed explanation.  Please don't let this deter you from future detailed explanations.  If I cause that then I've done this website and metal detecting in general a huge disservice.

There are at least two underlying things going on when I take exception to something you've written:  what you say and what you mean.  From your many excellent posts as well as several private messages, I usually have a good idea of what you really understand, and never for a second did I think your experience/evidence/thought-process included the simple statement (underlying meaning?) that the Eqx's multi-IQ setting covered all single frequency searches.  My reply post was more for others, but that is probably a flaw of mine -- trying to clarify what someone else wrote.  I'll work on that (but no promises it won't happen again).

I also used it as a segway to an idea that just crystallized with me in the last few weeks -- that the Eqx, although in many ways groundbreaking, is still a long way from what many of us really desire/crave/beg for:  perfect unmasking.  I doubt we'll ever get that, but there is still a lot of improvement that can be made by better signal processing and more clever electronics design.  At least I sure hope there is.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

People compare the Equinox to machines costing two or three times more money and actually have to debate which is better.

Great point. I am just trying to figure out "why" this is so.

27 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

People compare the Equinox to machines costing two or three times more money and actually have to debate which is better. And any specialty machine that rivals the Equinox at one particular task falls flat when compared to some other area where the Equinox still shines. Deus vs Equinox in dense ferrous? Ok, Deus debatably has an edge, but now let’s talk Deus in saltwater. No comparison, Equinox slam dunk. CTX on silver coins vs Equinox. Ok, maybe CTX has an edge, but now let’s talk CTX on small gold nuggets. No comparison, Equinox wins. There are detectors that give Equinox a run in one particular area, but they lack the overall excellent performance of Equinox at all detecting tasks, and often cost far more.

Ok, but where's the "catch?" Is it learning all the settings in the Equinox and being able to properly adjust the machine for the conditions you're hunting in and targets you're looking for?

Yes, you actually have to learn your detector. That’s not a catch, that’s reality with all detectors.

I don’t worry about why, I worry about what works. I drag multiple detectors into the field and spend many hours cross checking on real world targets. I prove to myself what works or what does not in my ground on my targets, and then I use that. Works means picks the targets up better, better audio, better target id.

Why? It goes beep when others don’t. It beeps better when others barely beep. It gives more accurate target id where others fail. It works better, that’s why. For me at least. If something else works better for somebody else they should use it. How do you determine that? You go use them and compare them. Or at least that’s how I do it. I don’t ask others what works best and I don’t watch videos. Nothing works for me but to prove it to myself with my own ears and eyes.

nokta-impact-xp-deus-teknetics-g2-minelab-equinox.jpg
whites-goldmaster-24k-minelab-equinox-800-gold-monster-1000-makro-nokta-gold-kruzer.jpg

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yes, you actually have to learn your detector. That’s not a catch, that’s reality with all detectors.

It can be a catch, depending on what the company is trying to bill their product as.

The question is: how much do you have to learn? It's my impression that Multi-IQ reduces the amount of learning required. Or, it produces better results for a given amount of learning.

As for asking others what works best or watching videos: are you telling me I'm wrong for doing that? I don't have the financial or time resources to do all the testing myself. I'd love to and I hope I can (say, taking a Garrett AT Pro in one arm and an Equinox in the other and see how they respond to the same target). But until I get more time and more money, I'll have to stick with what I can do through my computer screen and my occasional hunts with my Fisher F2.

If I ask too many questions, I'll stop. Or at least ask fewer questions...or go somewhere else to ask them. The question I asked in this post is one that had been on my mind for months and I was waiting for a time to ask. I asked now because I thought I had reached the limits of watching Youtube and lurking message boards. I also thought I had an answer, but wanted to see if it was correct (phrunt was most helpful with that).

14 hours ago, phrunt said:

Nokta is working on a multi frequency machine which may come out next year.... I can't wait to see what that will be, I think it'd be great, at least we know so far in features and build quality it will be good, now it's just waiting to see how they do the multi frequency side of it and how competitive that will be.

Minelab have already said they're not releasing anymore single frequency detectors, multi is where the world of detecting is heading, if the other manufacturers are going to stick with single frequency over the coming years I fear they'll be left behind and gradually forgotten about. 

Actually it would be very interesting to know the number of metal detectors units sold ( per model/per country/per year )by each manufacturer.  So we would better know  where we are, which detectors are the most popular , in which country , what is the percentage of multi freq machines used  , etc .. We have accurate figures for car sales given by the car manufacturers , why is it not the case in the MD industry ?

1 hour ago, mh9162013 said:

As for asking others what works best or watching videos: are you telling me I'm wrong for doing that?

I’m not telling you to do anything. Yes, you are asking questions. I took the time to answer. I speak to my personal experiences and methods, that’s all. But if you don’t want to or can’t afford to do the field tests yourself, you might pay attention to somebody that has. Half of what’s said about the Equinox versus other detectors on the Internet comes from people who have never done the real work and are just shooting off opinions.

You can learn as little as you choose with the Equinox. Just turn it on and go, it’s that easy. But if you are going to have some kind of competition hunt with the best of the best then you need to learn every aspect of the machine inside and out. If you seek the best performance possible, you have to not only know the machine intimately, but have top notch detecting skills. That’s all up to you. But don’t expect to buy any detector made by anyone and get the best performance in a turn on and go configuration. Hunting ground hunted by 1000 other people means squeaking out nearly imaginary signals and frankly few people are really up to it. What of it? Is your goal to be recognized as some kind of world class expert hunter, or to just get out, have fun, and find things? You can do that just fine with your F2 and getting an Equinox will not magically rock your world. This game of detecting is one of fractions of inches and lots of nuance. You can make it as simple or as complex as you choose. It’s all up to you. Good luck!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

You can do that just fine with your F2 and just getting an Equinox will not magically rock your world.

I learned that a few months ago!

While I didn't expect my Equinox 600 to work like magic, I had hoped that it would work significantly better than my F2.

I know it does, but I was unable to put in the time to see those results.

It did have an amazing recovery speed that helped me understand what I did wrong with my F2 in my most recent competition hunt where I got skunked.

13 minutes ago, palzynski said:

We have accurate figures for car sales given by the car manufacturers , why is it not the case in the MD industry ?

Maybe that information is more useful in marketing for metal detector companies than it is for car companies? Your guess is as good as mine. The car industry is also far larger, with more interest from the general public and government regulatory agencies.

But I do recall seeing a Minelab graphic showing the revenue generated by continent. Not that it's what you're asking about, but I suppose it's something.

I'm sure Steve might have some good insight here, though.