Simplex Software Update - Update

Thanks Phrunt.  I tried that and was able to access the updater successfully but, same error message about Com3.

So, out of pure frustration, I pushed and held the power button down, while still plugged into the computer and while the updater was still running.  The detector screen went blank and the the logo appeared along with the charging icon. So, I tried the update again and this time IT WORKED!!!!

The coil works and I was able to turn the detector on and off without a problem.  Maybe, if someone else has the problem, just holding down the power button while connected to the updater will solve it.  

Bloody technology, don’t you love it when it works?  

A big thank you to my international brothers for your suggestions. 🤛🏻👌👏🏻👍🏻

• Like 2

Just a side note, if running windows. After installing the updater program, it may have to install some drivers missing on your computer. This may take a few extra steps and clicks before you can begin updating. After that for me it was super quick and easy.

Yes, but you have to either dual boot or run it in a virtual box, either way, to do it legitimately, you have to buy a Windows 10 license which costs more than just buying the cheapo Win10 laptop off ebay dedicated to detector update stuff and other online detector information (PDF manuals and settings recommendations).  A lot of people have Macs because they find the OS simpler to use than Windows, these people are not going to run bootcamp or install virtual machines on their Macs.

I have dual boot on my desktop. Main OS is Linux Mint. On my second hard drive I run Windows 7, that's the drive and OS I use for Nokta/Makro updates.

8 hours ago, Johnnysalami1957 said:

Was the detector off when you started the update? It states that in the instructions.

Yes mate.  Being a computer troglodyte, I was very cautious about following the instructions in the update panel.  I initially had problems accessing the actual update but I didn’t connect, or turn on, the detector until I was supposed to.  Apart from the scare I got when the Simplex started its catatonic state, the most confusing thing is that I don’t know why the problem occurred.  The update seemed to function correctly until the very last minute, including the message that the update was successful.  As they say in the classics - “WTF?”

All that aside, I have to say how impressed I am with the scope of changes made.  I’m yet to run it over the ground to see how it all goes but, for such an inexpensive machine, Nokta have impressed me with the amount of grunt under the bonnet and the effort they put into producing and improving a machine that rivals far more expensive units.  Kudos deserved.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Phoenix50 said:

Yes mate.  Being a computer troglodyte, I was very cautious about following the instructions in the update panel.  I initially had problems accessing the actual update but I didn’t connect, or turn on, the detector until I was supposed to.  Apart from the scare I got when the Simplex started its catatonic state, the most confusing thing is that I don’t know why the problem occurred.  The update seemed to function correctly until the very last minute, including the message that the update was successful.  As they say in the classics - “WTF?”

Some have found with their particular computer, they have had to re-install the (Nokta/Makro) update program and do the update a couple times before it took. This as happened with the other model detectors  as well. Windows does not always like to play well with installs......

• Like 1

The Windows license changed with version 10. You can skip activation and it will let you use the OS with no shutdown timer like previous versions of Windows. The only downside is you can't change wallpaper or themes. It also has a message on the bottom right corner of the wallpaper that you haven't activated. They will let you use it with the hope that you will buy apps from the app store. It is the new "Windows as a service" model they have adopted.