Out Near An Old Placer Site What Is This??

If I had to guess, they ran water in through the small  pipe and out the other and dumped sand in from the top.  The turning brush agitated the slurry mixture allowing the gold to drop to the bottom.  The larger pipe carried the spoil out.  That's pretty rubegoldberg, but it's the only thing that occurs to me.

Hard to say, but I have seen all sorts of old trash dumped in old placer pits and other diggings. Old cars, washing machines, you name it. It might be related to something someone was thinking of doing for mining, but it also might just be old trash dumped at a placer pit.

It doesn’t look super old the green side covers look salvaged from something like an old bench grinder from around the 1950’s by the shape and color, almost the same color as my grandfathers 48 Chrysler Town and Country. Looks like something jerry rigged you could use to clean sticky clay off the bottom of your work boots.

• Like 1

I'm going with the water powered rock/boot cleaner thingamajig. Although it could be a paint stripper, Usually if it has a pole its a stripper 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, dogodog said:

I'm going with the water powered rock/boot cleaner thingamajig. Although it could be a paint stripper, Usually if it has a pole its a stripper 😂

It looks a pretty efficient way to strip bark.