I am after some advice from those who sluice..

I recently got myself a little Keene A51 Sluice so I had something a bit smaller than my A52S, so I could take it on my bike or go to places further away where I don't want to hike with a heavy big A52.  It cost me less to buy it than the petrol to go pick it up,  I got it second hand.

I know nothing about how well the A51 performs other than Keene's own marketing but it seems just a smaller A52 and because I'm happy with the A52 I figured I'd like it.

Now... It came with the usual green carpet the Keenes come with, but I also got some Miners Moss hoping it would help the smaller sluice capture the fine gold better, We have really fast flowing creeks and often in my Keene A52 I've found the gold gets a fair way back into the carpet on it, often into the last 3rd of the carpet gold can be found.  Most of our creek gold is pretty fine.  It's not too often you can pick up a bit out of the sluice... Once a day or so from what I've seen.

IMG_20200415_141016.thumb.jpg.ca77c538e4b5bbed5abf3acdf93ff1e2.jpg

Is the Miners Moss a good idea? I assume I put it at the front of the sluice.  Is it worth cutting the carpet back to a smaller size to fit the moss in neatly or just put it over top of the carpet.  What worries me about the Moss is it has no backing so if gold makes it way through it then it can just slide along the metal?  If I leave the carpet there it has that to capture it.

IMG_20200415_141327.thumb.jpg.aa391c0d335f23fadaa15e0cb848274e.jpg

This is how it comes from the factory, with the riffles and wire mesh over it obviously.

IMG_20200415_141342.thumb.jpg.9fced83387013b5096c1ee012151c113.jpg

I can sit the moss over the carpet like this and I can assemble it fine, a bit tighter but works still

IMG_20200415_141423.thumb.jpg.c449c23b08810bb6a10407a1f0aec736.jpg

It goes back together fine, I figured it would be good to have the moss come out in front of the first riffle to help capture the little stuff, would this be right or will it just clog it up doing this?

IMG_20200415_141427.thumb.jpg.a854960872fbe51f77f792728edb0283.jpg

Sorry for all the questions, I'm only new to this sluicing gig and my focus is on being able to use this little sluice and not lose the fine gold from it in fast flowing water.

I'm also going to put the Eye bolts on it like I've done to my A52s sluices so I can have a carry strap on it rather than just use the little handle, frees up my arms to carry my shovel and buckets and so on.  Just waiting on my drill to charge to get that done.

IMG_20200415_141005.jpg.e104ff9b89f0a4f5e0f4c176f8a59707.jpg

All the bits are there to make the strap up.

IMG_20191214_120254.jpg.c70687fe7b78c905c0d4d624d8f5a5f5.thumb.jpg.51bd30dafe949420b0c69af711bf8797.jpg

Then it's like there ones with the carry strap.  It works really well, so much easier to carry over your shoulder than using your hand.

Any advice appreciated, I don't even know if the miners moss is a good idea for fine gold, seemed like it at the time 🙂

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

Is the Miners Moss a good idea?

Simon,

That is the same way my system is set up. I used the moss along with the mat and it seemed to work just fine.

I have fine gold in the creeks around my area and it gets most of it just fine, I make sure that I have just enough water going through it to give it a stable flow and capture of the gold.

• Thanks 1

Simon,

I know the Keenes and I've won a couple of the sluices when I attended meetings at their shop in Canoga Park, California about 30 miles from me.  I think they do more export now than domestic sales.

As 2Valen suggested, just because your stream flows fast that is not the way you set up the sluice.  If you grade/classify your material before you put it on the front of the sluice that will help.  When you watch the fines wash down the back just make sure you see the V come together about half way down the carpet.  This means your gold will likely settle and not get blown out.

Take some of those pieces of lead you have and chop them up a bit and test them if you can make them as fine as your gold.  I'd say paint them but that might give them properties that would give you a false reading because of the painted surface.  You could drop test the gold you are trying to get with the sample you make in a glass of water.

If you get any good pickers you'll see them up front and suck them up with your bottle anyway, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

If you get any good pickers you'll see them up front and suck them up with your bottle anyway, right?

I actually don't, I see them up front and hope to hell they stay in the sluice, never crossed my mind to suck them out with my snuffer.  Thanks for that somewhat obvious tip,  really I never thought of it, sometimes ripping my sluice out as soon as I see them as I don't want to risk losing them 🙂 

I think the A52's are great, I just wanted something I could take more remote where every man and their dog doesn't sluice.

sluice.jpg.5eb8d1e2fa5e5f3dc4b123a47ec161ca.jpg

This is me sluicing, that's not even my dog, it's my mum's (mom for those on that side of the pond) that wanted to come along on this particular mission.  It was a very productive spot too.

• Like 2

PHRUNT:The man ,the myth ,the legend!!!!!!!!

This place look nice!!!!Love your CROCS too 

RR

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Rivers rat said:

This place look nice!!!!Love your CROCS too

I do look pretty in pink! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I was sluicing back in the late 80's and still have my Keene sluice which looks a lot like yours in the picture. After a while I changed out the carpet and replaced it all with 100% miners moss. Originally I was worried about fine gold falling to the bottom of the moss and loosing it on the slick aluminum. But it never happened as it would get caught up pretty quickly in the remaining moss. I did find pickers and a lot of them never made it into the moss but got held up on the beginning lip / edge of it. I also classified all my dirt first to get rid of the bigger rocks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies, I'll just sit the miners moss over top of the carpet and see how it goes, if I need to cut the carpet I will be I'd rather not unless I have to. 

I have just finished attaching the Eye nuts and making up the adjustable length carry strap so I can now carry it over my shoulder without needing my hands, this makes life so much easier walking into a location so I can carry my shovel and buckets and so on.  I'm pretty sure I'll be able to throw the A51 over my shoulder and ride into locations as it's so light and small.

Now I just need to get out of lock down to be able to test it out, hopefully Wednesday we get some relief there!

IMG_20200418_124701.thumb.jpg.774290070827d2d2224ed5a3fbba2839.jpgIMG_20200418_125014.thumb.jpg.baa16edf27af93e5396321da92268dad.jpg

It's tiny compared to my A52 and A52S.  I just hope it works even near as well.

IMG_20200418_125030.thumb.jpg.509c960a308da57723bea3361fd6aff8.jpg

I'll probably add some more rubber matting to the front to make it more like the A52S, that indicator matting works really well at trapping fine gold, oddly sometimes reasonable size bits get stuck in it even though it's such fine grooves.

• Like 2

Don't mean to start any sluice debates, etc. but you really should take a look at a drop riffle sluice like the Angus MacKirk and/or the leTrap…..  SOOOO much less time/work on cleanouts and they do a great job on the fines if setup right. They are also pretty forgiving on setup and current flows, etc.  The AM sluices are light and built like a battleship....

JMO and although I mostly detect anymore I will never part with my AM sluice and gave away all my "traditional" Hungarian riffle type sluices.....

1 hour ago, oneguy said:

Don't mean to start any sluice debates, etc.

Never heard of Angus MacKirk so that means I can't buy them in NZ, I have access to Letrap and I've been thinking about getting of of the for a long time.  The downside to these Keene's is they are heavy, the strap I add onto them helps a lot with that though.

• Like 2