Whites TDI SL Battery Questions

Hi I have a question regarding all the talk regarding ramping up the amps volts etc on the tdi sl wouldn't good batteries like 8 x energizer lithium batteries add up to 14 volts rather than trying to squeeze an extra battery in there or striping the guts out of the battery pack to put in 4 18500? What about 4 x 14500 which for memory are the same width maybe a tad longer they add up to 15 volts plus I'm not sure any thoughts 

The 18650x4 battery mod is really easy to do. I have three battery packs, the stock blue label for 8 AAs, the stock orange label 12 volt NiMH and the 14.8 volt modded pack. The modded pack is10% more sensitive with the Whites and MJD coils. With the Coiltek TDI coils and Nugget Finder smaller coils sensitivity is 15% or more than 12 volts. 

Jeff

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Thx for the info on battery mods I wish I could just buy the 4 x 18450 battery pack done I would send the nimh pack to get done or maybe could take it to an electronic shop I'm worried I would just stuff it up just another question I have a option to buy a sd 2100 in good condition with new battery and charger with what looks like 2 minelab coils for $900 is this a good price or should I keep saving for a gpx 5000 

• 5 months later...

Four 18650's and one 1.5v AA will add up to a max voltage, at full charge, of 18.3, and will stand a good chance of blowing the 16volt caps in the power supply. I strongly advise you not do that.

Jim

• Like 3

By all means boost the battery pack, pays to keep the voltage on the Tdi Sl at or just under 16 volts.

My brother has just got a 3D printer and I'm just amazed at how good they are.

A friends SL developed a gentle 'hum' at 16 .8 volts with a freshly charged battery pack. But no issues under 16 volts. That was enough for me to curb my enthusiasm and set the limit at just under 16 volts. I achieved this by using a smart charger which allows me to control the voltage of each of the 4 cells.

Given that White's is no more, I'm looking at preserving the machines I have for as long as possible. Not looking to push the envelope too far. It is a risk vs gain equation. I'm with Jim in Idaho on this one.

All the best.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

The stability mod on the big boxes is more electronically complex than the SL mods. Also requires added parts.

Jim