New Metal Detector For Gold And Coins

Except he said they (Equinox, etc) were out of his budget range.  So there's that.  Vanquish wasn't mentioned at all and the OP had a budget constraint, so it seems the reviews I read were there supporting  Vanquish for both coins and gold.  Whatever.  I explained how the ground noise issue could be addressed in mineralized soil.  Not sure that it would really affect performance.  Moving on...I'm not a prospector so I should have not stuck my nose in on this one.

• Like 1

From my testing and experience, I would say the limit of the Vanquish with the 8" or 10" coil is roughly equal in inches to tenths of a gram so a 0.1 normally shaped flat nugget will be picked up clearly by the Vanquish running hot at a little over 1 inch. 0.2 gram around 2 inches etc. in moderate mineralization IF you can run it hot without a lot of chatter. My 440 with the V10 coil in any mode cranked up and with just -7,-8 and-9 rejected for ground noise, will hit on a .4 gram nugget at 4" depth in my test garden.  I haven't tried it in moving water like a creek on shallow gold .......?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

You  don't need to be a prospector to bring up good points which you did.  I could never complain about one of your posts 🙂

Thanks - just having a down day.  The "new" normal is probably just getting to me and then I read about Fred passing and that was total downer.

• Like 4

thanks you all for the many advices.

here the ground in italy, is high mineralized with a lot of black sand .

i already have a 14khz teknetics t2 so i will try maybe it can detech the big nuggets. (and i will use it for coins and other relict)

also i will wait some used metal detector maybe an xp orx or makro gold kruzer (the price here for a new makro gold kruzer is 670€).

i very like the detech eds gold cather but the frequency in only 28khz, so i don't think it will be on small nuggets)  i read old post in this forum but i can't find any review on this machine.

now i am reading some post about the deeptech vista gold that reach 30khz but i think that is not enough for prospecting

• Like 1

With high mineralization, then, I would not recommend Vanquish due to its fixed GB.

An XP Orx with one of the white high frequency coils (13 through 56 khz or 13 throgh 74 khz, depending on which coil you get) is a great versatile detector that would suit your needs if you can find one in your price range.  In the US, the Orx sells about the same as or slightly higher than the ML Equinox 600 which you previously indicated might be a little high out of your price range.  Either detector is very capable at as both a coin shooter or tiny gold detector.

• Like 3

On 4/18/2020 at 2:16 AM, arcanomistero said:

thanks you all for the many advices.

here the ground in italy, is high mineralized with a lot of black sand .

i already have a 14khz teknetics t2 so i will try maybe it can detech the big nuggets. (and i will use it for coins and other relict)

also i will wait some used metal detector maybe an xp orx or makro gold kruzer (the price here for a new makro gold kruzer is 670€).

i very like the detech eds gold cather but the frequency in only 28khz, so i don't think it will be on small nuggets)  i read old post in this forum but i can't find any review on this machine.

now i am reading some post about the deeptech vista gold that reach 30khz but i think that is not enough for prospecting

To be completely honest, getting a VLF detector that is both very good on tiny gold and very good on coins and that can handle very bad mineralization well is a little bit of wishful thinking. You will have to compromise, that is reality. In a perfect world where money was no issue, I would recommend you have at least two or maybe three detectors. The main one would be a SDC 2300 for finding small gold in difficult ground while being easy to operate. And then an Equinox 800 or XP ORX for small gold, trashy areas, and coin detecting.

In your case and budget holding out for an XP ORX at a good price is not a bad plan. It is an excellent choice and easier to master than the Equinox 800 when it comes to nugget detecting.

The main reason I am posting however is to encourage you to get a small coil for the T2 and have more faith in it. The T2 is actually one of the more popular VLF nuggets that has been sold worldwide for nugget detecting, with huge numbers sold in Africa. Unfortunately it fell victim to counterfeiters who ruined the market for it. I used the F75 extensively and did very well with it on gold nuggets. The F75 and T2 are practically the same detector. Here is an example of how small a nugget you should be able to find with the T2. Note I do not have very large fingers; I did not record the weight of this nugget unfortunately but I am guessing just a few grains, maybe 1/4 gram. This nugget was found with the stock 7” x 11” coil and I am certain I could do better with a smaller coil. Frankly, I have found the 13 kHz T2 and F75 to be very close to the 19 kHz Gold Bug Pro on gold nuggets, closer than people might guess.

http://fisherlab.com/hobby/finds-Steve-Herschbach.htm

Finally, I have never used a Vista Gold but at 30 kHz it probably does better than you think on tiny gold with a small coil. The ORX however is the safer, more proven choice.

herschbach-gold-nugget-f75-metal-detector-california.jpg

• Like 4

i will try prospecting with teknetics t2 that already have😁 maybe i will find some nuggets,  i have the mard md tiger coil 10x13'' and it is very good.

but now i  will search for a smaller coil, do you know if the fisher gold bug  5'' coil it works also on the t2 they look similar but maybe inside are different. which is better the 5'' (160€) teknetics coil for the t2 or the 10dd (200€) also teknetics 

however for information which one would you choose between the deeptech vista gold gain  30khz 499€ and the detech eds gold 28khz 540€ with 2 coils?  they look like very similar also i know that there aren't a lot information about this two detector and also there are a few people who have tried them.

thanks very much for the help

1 hour ago, arcanomistero said:

i will try prospecting with teknetics t2 that already have😁 maybe i will find some nuggets,  i have the mard md tiger coil 10x13'' and it is very good.

but now i  will search for a smaller coil, do you know if the fisher gold bug  5'' coil it works also on the t2 they look similar but maybe inside are different. which is better the 5'' (160€) teknetics coil for the t2 or the 10dd (200€) also teknetics 

however for information which one would you choose between the deeptech vista gold gain  30khz 499€ and the detech eds gold 28khz 540€ with 2 coils?  they look like very similar also i know that there aren't a lot information about this two detector and also there are a few people who have tried them.

Vista gold gain 30khz is a sensitive detector for gold weighing 0.02 grams ...
Even on a small 5.7 "coil.., it also detects my 0.003 gold test ...

The Gain control as well as the Bost function allow the detector to be set up optimally on various mineralized terrains ...

If I find my notes I will write a comparison of the range of my various detectors at 0.02 grams of gold ....

• Like 3

10 hours ago, arcanomistero said:

As phrunt said only coils made specifically for the T2 work on the T2; even F75 coils are not compatible, and they are very alike in most ways. The T2 was designed specifically for DD coils only, and when the F75 came out they added the ability to use concentric coils, but that made it not compatible with T2 coils.

I would take EL NINO77s advice as far as Deeptech and Detech goes. If I had to pick one it would be the Deeptech, simply because DeTech detectors do not seem to have much of a following by comparison, so I feel like Deeptech is the safer choice. I know many people I trust who speak well of them.

• Like 2