Found This On A Hill When Detecting

7 1/2" long x 5x5 approx, 6.6 lbs. A magnet is attracted to it. The stone is unusual for around New England where I am. Any idea what kind of stone it is or is it a meteorite? May have to cut a chunk off and send it out but if someone knows offhand will save me the effort.

Thanks

IMG_1001.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_0997.JPG

IMG_0996.JPG

I agree!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

Yep, let's take a peek inside.

• Like 1

To me it looks like granite but does have a lot of iron in it.

Attachment-1.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry Kac, but the crystalline structure of your rock pretty much rules out a meteorite. I'm with you  - it appears to be some sort of a granite. Better luck next time!

• Like 2

Got excited when the detector picked up on it, had inclusions and a magnet stuck to it. Too small to make a counter top but might look ok in the garden.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Kac, Yes you have an interesting stone for your garden. Iron is not uncommon in New England. Bog iron is common in many areas.

“Saugus Iron Works National Historic Site is a National Historic Site about 10 miles northeast of Downtown Boston in Saugus, Massachusetts. It is the site of the first integrated ironworks in North America, founded by John Winthrop the Younger and in operation between 1646 and approximately  1670.” J( Wikipedia)

• Like 1