Battery Powered Sweeper

I ordered a battery operated sweeper attachment for my EGO power head this is a rotary bristle brush one of a number of different attachments available for this device, the supplier instead sent me the rubber brush instead with paddle like bristles intended to sweep soil, gravel and rocks. Although not the one I wanted, I figured it might be useful out in the gold fields so threw it into the Jeep for a quick run. This line of garden equipment is really powerful but sweeping gravel off the lawn is one thing moving dirt looking for gold much more demanding so while a fun experiment I didn’t expect the results I’d get out at gold basin to be promising or practical. To my surprise this little sweeper managed to perform much better than I expected. In a wash it easily moved 5” or so of dirt from a small area in just 5 or 10 minutes, in the other picture I used it to knock down a small tailings pile from a dozer push, although a little challenging to control because it wants to dig straight down if it had a bicycle wheel attached behind the spinning broom you could easily sweep 1” inch layers off in 21” wide strips and go down in larger areas more evenly. The brush attachment runs $250 and the power head $150 bare bones without battery or charger, it managed to survive the day without breaking and might have use patch cleaning but I’m really unsure about it holding up out there with regular use? 

E336BB70-FFFE-498A-8914-FF758EE4B625.thumb.png.5dd76d1900fc0b0ba0fcc9dc6b5b3fcf.png851CDBD2-FCD1-4A2C-8315-CED774FDADB9.thumb.png.791fc43108777a18e764292ab9bfd94e.png8E4E61B4-5A96-4756-BE13-05429816291A.thumb.png.a155c46a0679e4492a79cf880b06ed27.png3D7333B9-7383-43B9-97D7-380E373E3B96.thumb.png.ea67235bd9b302bb73c4808169c6ad02.png357853CF-7B15-4FD7-BBE9-80131D9A9150.thumb.jpeg.4874f36fc437606621c934a0304c53c1.jpeg

• Like 9

Thats one way to remove overburden, hot rocks and scare the heck out of the critters 🙂  I'd suggest and A-frame attachment with two wheels on a single axle just behind the power head for more control on depth and stability similar to what you said about a wheel.  Does it kick a lot of rocks into your shins even though its throwing forward of ya?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DDancer said:

Thats one way to remove overburden, hot rocks and scare the heck out of the critters 🙂  I'd suggest and A-frame attachment with two wheels on a single axle just behind the power head for more control on depth and stability similar to what you said about a wheel.  Does it kick a lot of rocks into your shins even though its throwing forward of ya?

Surprisingly, no it throws everything to the front about 3’ or more and with wheels it’d be easy to control and take a heck of a lot less punishment, now I need to grip it about a foot behind the guard and hold it up pushing forward It’s a bit of a workout. in the Soft soil it digs down builds a pile in front of it self you then have to shave down, but it throws the rocks pretty good, bits of gold too I imagine if they are there.

Great idea, Echo makes one too but gas powered. I'm more impressed by the Rubicon. I'm a jeep guy with a 1995 turbo charged 2.5 L, Detroit lockers and full roll cage. The power broom works amazingly well, the first time I used mine I was wondering why I have shovels Ha Ha. They are crazy awesome!! Also great for mulch. Maybe Minelab will make an option for the GPZ

IMG_0662.jpg

• Like 1

Cool YJ having the turbo bumps up the horse power pretty good I’ll bet nice setup, the only complaint I have with mine is fitting all my stuff into the limited space and trying to keep it all organized by the end of the day everything usually in a bit of a jumble with detectors, drywasher, tool bucked, power sweeper, portable winch and 4WD gear, picks and all the other misc crap there’s no way to accommodate camping equipment without sacrificing mobility by pulling a trailer of some sort? I put a shelf in the back that helps but it’s still a challenge so I haven’t decided what I want to do for for overnight or multiple nights out?

EGO makes garden tools that do the job with some impressive run times the hedge trimmer cuts all my hedges front and back on one 2.5 amp-hr battery same with the sweeper all the dirt that day was on one battery it amazes me just how well they perform compared to corded equipment and even gas powered versions, so far I really have no complaint hopefully the service life is comparable as well. 

• Like 1

This would be wonderful for situations where you want or need to "rake down" tailing piles or flat ground for more depth. Of course the "down side" is another heavy thing to have to pack around.

Good information though, thanks for posting it and especially the pictures.

• Like 1

1515,  check out a company called 4x4 beast fabrication, they make some neat rear racks. Also U-haul makes a hitch mount storage unit called the carpod, it is pretty cool also for a great price and I believe is lockable. Looks like it would give you a ton of extra space and clear your spare tire.

• Like 1