Hey Team,

First post, long time lurker. I am right on the brink of buying my next detector. I previously had a GMT w/nugget coil shooter 4x6", which I had dialed in very well, and it detected small good very well. Where I am from everyone uses a GB2, and has good success - they are however hard to find in Canada, and I am leaning towards the 24K/GMX. I like the fact the GMX is waterproof, and I can use it for underwater sniping, as well as never worry about weather and or moisture. It comes with the 6.5" concentric coil, which I have never used, but in my understanding would make it even MORE sensitive then the 4x6" DD coil solution (at the cost of mobility). Do you guys think the new 24K/GMX w/ 6.5" concentric would be a better overall unit for small placer gold then the tried and true Gold Bug 2 w/6.5" coil?

I don't want to do this twice is possible. The ground I am in is in the East Kootenays of BC, and is not too hot, but does contain some "spicy"  rocks and very jagged bedrock as a platform. Most of the gold I need to detect will need "depth" as utmost importance. It has been picked over very well in the past, and I really need something that will shoot a little better then a hot GB2.

The GMX platform comes currently w/ the 6.5" concentric, and the 4x6 new DD coil for $1140 CAD all in.

Would the Gold Kruzer perform equally to the GMX/24K platform? It is about $300.00 cheaper for the entire 2 coil waterproof package. 

Anyways please try to confirm my belief beyond Steve's signature which says he kept the 24K and got rid of the other VLF's lol. Also Aureus's review of his 24K had me sold when he said he was turning old ground into "new" ground. 

Cheers! 🙂

Since you are already familiar with the GMT, the GMX should be a good fit. I have the 24K with the stock 10x5 coil and the 6.5" concentric. Most of the ground I have hunted so far in Colorado is almost too hot for the 6.5" concentric but the 10x5" DD handles it better. What I like about the 24K over the GMX is the weight and especially the weight distribution. The 24K is very well balanced and with the 6.5" coil weighs 3 lbs, 4 oz. The GMX with the same coil weighs 4 lbs and having swung one at a gold show before everything got shut down, it feels really heavy to me and I am no weakling. So, that is my only reservation about recommending one over the other. My 24K with either coil is super hot and by far the most sensitive gold detector I have ever used.

The Makro Gold Kruzer is really good too. It is lacking a couple of things that I really like to have like one button push iron volume or iron volume setting (which the GMX/24k, XP ORX and Minelab Equinox have) and its best and hottest coil in my opinion is not included with the two coil set which is the 9.5X5" DD which in your case would make it closer to $160 Canadian less. Also, this is just my opinion, the S shafted Kruzers and Racers feel a lot heavier than their 3 lbs weight. To me the 24K is much better balanced.  That is totally me however and may be different for you. Is the GMX $160 better than the Gold Kruzer.............in my opinion yes even though the wireless audio on the Gold Kruzer is a big plus over the GMX/24K.

Is the 2 coil GMX a better deal than the 2 coil 24K even though it is heavier and less well balanced? Price wise there is remarkably little difference which makes no sense whatsoever. If I had to buy one or the other right now I would probably go with the GMX because I like the coil selection better and it is waterproof. I would just have to deal with the noticeable weight difference.

I totally forgot to say, welcome to the forum as a contributor!!!!

Jeff

• Like 5

Great advice guys! I appreciate the time taken! I agree on all fronts, I will probably steer towards my gut and the GMX or 24K platform. If the area I am in was already overtaken by GB2 prospectors, I like the idea of having a slightly different detector to pickup the hidden pieces like "Aureus" stated in his previous reviews (where he was finding new gold his GB2 had missed). Either way it's all a matter of preference, and I would rather have the latest technology, then a 20 year old platform. Hard to justify $1100 CAD for a GB2 nowadays.

Anyways thanks again for all your input, it really helps to narrow down a solution in this niche hobby.

🙂