Another Large Cent

37 minutes ago, kac said:

Heads facing left so guessing post early 1800's?

Another way of ID'ing USA large cents when the date is unreadable is the diameter.  With a lot of time in the ground I don't know how the diameter evolves, though.  From the Red Book:

1793 Chain reverse:  "approx. 26-27 mm"

1793 Wreath reverse:  "approx. 26-28 mm"

1793-96 Liberty cap:  "approx. 29 mm"

1796-1807 Draped bust:  "approx 29 mm"

1804-14 Classic head:  28 mm (this from 1808 issue on PCGS website)

1816-35 Matron head: "approx. 28-29 mm"

1835-57 Young head: 27.5 mm

As you point out, the head faces right through 1807 and left after that.  The 1793-96 were also thicker and heavier (13.48 grams compared to 10.89 grams thereafter).

You always seem to dig a very old coin, even in this modern(?) schoolyard so ++ again.  Was it always the location of a school way back into at least the first half of the 19th Century or do you think the lot was used for something else previously?

• Like 5

This one is 27mm across. Was a farm on top of the hill at the end of my street that a couple schools were put in. The middle school is older late 1960's and other put in the 1980's. Both pretty new. Much of the land has been built up. I'm surprised this coin was in the playground and so shallow maybe couple inches down. Good indication that they didn't just strip the land and put in new fill but just regraded it and seeded it. There is a bit of wooded areas around the 2 schools now that was farm so those might have some nice finds.

Thanks

• Like 1

Nice haul of finds. 

Looks like a button in the trash pile.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mark Gillespie said:

Looks like a button in the trash pile.

Good eye, Mark.  Maybe a 2nd one in the upper left (but plain).  Also see a Stinkin' Zincoln, right where it belongs.

That button was modern.

Went back out on same field and found another large cent,  modern 925 Irish Cladah ring,  beat up IH, 44 Merc dime, 54 silver dime, small silver hair barret and over $8.50 in clad.

The large cent was very shallow and noticed there are sprinkler heads in the area. Taking a wild guess but think the old stuff got turned up when they were digging trenches for the water lines. If that's the case I'll go back over and look for just the deep faint targets.

60902178403__2515A530-5FFC-4789-9B59-5FB83E66EC1A.JPG

60902681234__66B8C0C3-246E-467A-8C63-6E5B56BF40DB.JPG

60902805543__5C257BA5-BDB7-4586-9112-8B28E3729F24.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG

IMG_1010.JPG

IMG_1011.JPG

IMG_1013.JPG

• Like 3

1798 Large Cent?  Fairly common issue (1.8 million minted) for an 18th Century USA coin, but still, how many detectorists ever find an 18th Century officlal USA coin?  The mint only operated the last 8 years of that century and many of the coins issued were quite rare.  Nice!  Hope your speculation of more, likely deeper finds comes to fruition.

• Like 1

Incredible finds! I'd kill to find a large cent out here...LOL

Jim

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does look like a 1798, part of the date is gone. Trying to get a buddy to hit the area again with his Nox. see if we can sniff out some more in the area. I have to be careful digging, not sure if there are wires or not and I came across quite a few sprinkler heads so deep searching will be slow and listening for the tiny fringe short signals should be fun. Think I got quite a bit of the clad off the surface. There is still the woods an perimeter of that school and another school on top of the hill.

Glad this latest large cent is in much better shape.

Thanks!

• Like 1