Forum Friend To All Has Passed

Thank you so much Norm for starting this post to let everyone know the sad news about Fred. I know Norm and Freddy were dear friends so it was fitting that it was Norm that posted the news. I loved reading all of the wonderful heartfelt comments and the great photos - it really is a celebration of his life !!!

If anyone has more photos I think it would be wonderful to see them. I know it will bring a lot of comfort to Jonni and Fred's family to hear all the stories and know how much he was loved and respected by so many. Jonni - you and Fred were so kind to me when we camped at the Lucky Fox with Norm, Heather, Mike and Michelle. I am so thankful and feel honored that I had the opportunity to get to know you both a little better and enjoy that special time with everyone. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Very sad news, my condolences to Fred's friends and family.

I wish that I had been blessed with the opportunity to meet him, I will do as suggested and have a shot of tequila tonight in his memory.

RIP Fred.

• Like 3

To Fred’s family and friends, I’m sorry for your loss.

I never met Fred but always enjoyed his humour when he commented on peoples posts. When i saw a comment from the man in the pink/red shirt i knew it would either be witty, funny or kind.

May you find some comfort in knowing that many others thought highly of him, including myself

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Nice story Rob. Fred sounded like someone worth knowing I am sorry I never got the chance to meet him in person.

• Like 1

Norm,

Thank you for starting this thread, I am moved by all of comments from the guys Fred had shared a camp, a hunt, or an online communication with.  People from Australia, Canada, all over the US and others as well. 

I know you and Fred were close and the adventure in Cibola last fall is a great memory, Heather and Joni were there as well and it made for a great camp.  

My son is attending UCSD and last year when I was him visiting him I gave Fred a call and said, "I am in San Diego and would like to visit with you."  When he gave me his address I realized his home was about a quarter of a mile up the hill from my son's apartment.  So up the hill I went and was warmly welcomed by Fred and Joni.  Their home is beautiful and is full of the lovely handcrafted quilts she makes.  We had a good visit and the next day I took my son to meet them.  

Another warm memory I savor is that of a beautiful evening on the same trip to Cibola, I was sitting by a small fire relaxing and enjoying the sound of the birds just to the west on the Colorado River, (There is a waterfowl reserve there.), after a bit Fred came over from his trailer with a bottle of good Tequila and two glasses, "Would you care for a drink?" he asked.  Yes indeed, I said and I am happy to recall that evening, we did have a shot or two, Fred took his leave and returned to his wife and wheeled abode.  I hit the sack in the back of my truck and all was right with the world.  

I do miss Fred and my prayers go out to his family.  I was fortunate to have known him.

Jeff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As a rather new member on the forum, I'm also sad to hear of his passing.  Fred was one of the few who responded to a newcomer's questions and seemed genuinely interested to help.  Helping those you don't know is a trait of a giant soul.  Thank you for your brief, but thoughtful interactions, Fred.  May your legacy live on and be passed to others who find a piece of it resting here.

• Like 5