Forum Friend To All Has Passed

45 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

I just spoke with Fred a couple of days ago.  He was asking me about the QED.  Someone on the east coast was using it for a relic detector.  I tried to call him this morning.

I've had many good chats with Fred over the years.  Last year I went with my wife and son to visit Fred in San Diego.   He gave me his Australia maps before my trip to Australia.  He LOVED Australia and I'm sure much of his spirit is WA now.

I'll miss Fred.

Mitchel

Yeah, he had sold his GPZ as being too much for him physically anymore, and was interested in lighter units. So we have been chatting about the QED and Impulse etc. He was seriously thinking still of a trip back to Oz. Must be quite a shock for his wife, so sorry for her. 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am in shock.   I never knew Fred but it was obvious from his posts that he was a very decent bloke. My condolences to his family and friends.

• Like 2

The first time I met Fred was out in the Dale Mining District several years back where he had somehow forgotten his GPX power cord and asked if he could borrow a spare I happened to have. Every time we met up at different club events, he would welcome anyone into his camp and treat you as if you were a long-lost family member. All who attended the outings would ask if Fred was coming just to dig into some of his Chile Verde and if you were lucky enough to spend the night, he always had two huge frying pans of potatoes, eggs, and sausage going in the mornings. I asked Fred one time as I was heading into town if he needed anything I could bring back and all he wanted was some plain Vanilla Ice Cream. A great guy with a big heart who loved his family and will be truly missed. My condolences to his wife and family.

Patrick S.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

If I had it I would for sure Norm--- i do have some Corona and knowing Fred -- the thought would be what counted so I will have one or two ... - i got to go to his home and meet him and his wife in 2017 before my OZ trip--- You could always hear the yearning in his voice for WA.... RIP brother

I fully "ditto" Norm's comments regarding the very estimable Fred Mason. The last time Fred and I were together was at a WSPA outting at Dale. It was a day (and night) of good gold, good food, and good stories told around the campfire. The Dale has lost another of It's legends. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I’m shocked and saddened also to hear of this news, I was fortunate to meet Fred up at Rye patch a few years ago and he was as personable face to face as he was on forum, his kind heart and love of the wildlife, the outdoors and never ending devotion to helping and encouraging others his absence will leave a giant hole in our hearts we can only try and fill with the wonderful memories of the life we were fortunate to share, with a tear in my eye farewell my friend farewell and a toast to you of my finest tequila, Cheers.

• Like 8