Coil Swap For My TDI Beach Hunter

Tony

I recently tried out my TDIBH on some fairly mineralised ground and it was a disaster......no setting of the GB or Gain would calm the machine down.

My question is what sort of coil might work well......Mono....DD....concentric......and what size?

The stock 12” Dual Field is sensational on the beach but that’s all it’s good for.

I’d like to try a large DD to see if it could tame the bad ground...but the single turn GB may still not be enough?

Love to hear from the experts

Thanks

Tony

Your only hope is to go down in coil size. Larger coils see a bigger chunk of ground, so that ground looks like a bigger target. I'm guessing that if the ground is that bad, you'll need one of the little 4 x 6 coils, if you can find one. Or maybe a Coiltek 5". One of the "made for Australia" 7 1/2" mono coils Whitess ells might also get the job done.

Jim

• Like 1

I agree 100%, the smaller coil can make a find, no find difference, especially where the ground is extremely mineralized or their is a lot of metal in the ground.  Jim, funny you should mention those two coils.  I've wanted the Australian version of the 7 1/2 mono for years.  Tony, I can say the heaviest gold ring I've ever found was using the TDI and the 7 1/2 dual field coil in an area littered with both trash and coal waste.

• Like 1

I may well be wrong but i always thought the TDI Beach Hunter coil was hard wired to the control box ?? on my TDI Pro when using it on high mineral ground conditions i use either the 7.5'' DF or 10x5 folded mono.Both work exceptionally well but still not sure about the Beach Hunter version though.

My favourite coil that i mainly use 90% of the time on the TDI is the Coiltek 14x9 mono which is as light as a feather because the coil is foam filled rather than resin but of course it would be totally rubbish is surf or water in general as the coil wants to floats like a fishing float 🙂

There's an Australian poster here named Karelian who may know more about using the White's TDI family on your continent than anyone, ever.  Click here to see his posts, many of which are directly related to the TDI.  Even if you're stuck with the 12 inch coil on the TDI/BH he may be able to help suggesting settings with it that work in difficult ground.  You can always PM him (envelope icon at top of page) if you can't find what you're looking for by reading through his posts.

Also, here is a link to a couple posts he made on an Australian detector website in which he compared the performance of many coils on a TDI.  Great research there, and very informative to TDI owners everywhere.

• Like 2

The main issue is the dual field. A step in the right direction would be the 12" Aussie Mono and for even worse ground the 7.5" Aussie Mono. These coils were made originally specifically for the TDI Pro Oz version. The TDIBH is hardwired so not a plug and play thing but can be done. If I was to get another TDI the 7.5" Aussie Mono would be high on my wish list.

https://www.google.com/search?q=white's+tdi+aussie+mono+coil

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RickUK said:

I may well be wrong but i always thought the TDI Beach Hunter coil was hard wired to the control box ?? on my TDI Pro when using it on high mineral ground conditions i use either the 7.5'' DF or 10x5 folded mono.Both work exceptionally well but still not sure about the Beach Hunter version though.

My favourite coil that i mainly use 90% of the time on the TDI is the Coiltek 14x9 mono which is as light as a feather because the coil is foam filled rather than resin but of course it would be totally rubbish is surf or water in general as the coil wants to floats like a fishing float 🙂

Hello Rick

Yes, it is hard wired but I have opened the case a few times and to hook up another coil isn’t too difficult, although it’s not something I’d do on a regular basis. Finding the best coil is where the research comes in. Thanks Tony 

Thanks everyone for these replies, sounds like a smaller mono is the right direction.

Any thoughts on a larger DD coil ??

Tony 

In theory the TDI was made for mono coils and that's why Eric Foster and White's stuck with mono or modified mono. A DD may help in the worst ground but I have seen little to nothing ever said about DD coils being good for the machine. That's a pretty big clue as people will try anything. I know they will function but that's about it. Refer to the link GB posted above and you will see the focus is on mono.

• Like 5