Coil Swap For My TDI Beach Hunter

Tony

The Detech coils may be waterproof but if fully submerged then flotation may become a problem. Ideally, a fully potted coil would be best for water work, especially in deeper water. Another potential problem for non potted coils is water pressure compression on the coil shell could generate false signals and worse still, rupture of the coil housing. Just as an FYI...fully potted means a solid epoxy filled coil, typical for water/diving based detectors such as the Excalibur, Sea Hunter, Aquapulse.

I am in the process of trying to acquire an epoxy filled coil so stay tuned. I have decided not to pursue a smaller land based coil for my TDIBH as I’m not confident the single turn GB control will do the job.

Tony 

• Like 1

I'm probably not so far to the solution of our trouble...

After a quick search I managed to find an old model of a Coiltek waterproof rated coil also produced in a DD version...

Cause I dive with the TDI BH,  I want a fully waterproof and most important not floating coil, I have found the 12"x8" Platypus mono to be the better choice talking about dimensions and type of shell : opened, elliptic and epoxy filled)...

As for now, I only need to go over some questions in my mind:

1 Is the coil inductance really the same for the TDI SL and the GPX? (I think not)...

2 Will the swap operation really improve the noise/signal ratio in shallow saltwater, remaining on a 12" shell even if the 8"side is what is really relevant? (I'm only sure that a dual field is a different thing and a plain mono will do better...I hope)...

3 Will the coil with less windings than the 12" yellow dual field  (not so correct affirmation i know), operate better than now with a lower pulse delay of 10mS?

All million dollar questions for the real experts we all have here........

Please.........and thanks in advance to all who will help me to solve the problem...