Simplex And The Future

You have to get up early to get the scoop first.

Dilek just posted early this morning regarding the update. https://www.facebook.com/noktadetectors/
There will most likely be another update, using suggestions given by current Simplex users with current update.

Some complaints by those who want to revert back a version or two. Not recommended.

Also the new accessory coils will not work with any Simplex that hasn't been updated to the current version.
Guess this is why the accessory coils haven't been made available yet.

Who knows how far this Simplex project is going,on its way to being the perfect product? For the price this detector is getting better and better.

• Like 4

Great news.  It’s amazing that the update was out for such a short time and people were already bagging it.  It had to have been on FB, surely.  I noticed it is a bit chatty when my pinpointer is on but that was easily fixed by moving the coil a bit further away. Simple really.

Is it because I’m Down Under that Dilek’s cap was reading backwards?  😂😂😂

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sven1 said:

Also the new accessory coils will not work with any Simplex that hasn't been updated to the current version.
Guess this is why the accessory coils haven't been made available yet.

Now that is interesting indeed. Since the new Multi machine is going to be in the Simplex housing, I wonder if this is related? It would be easy to design coils for Simplex that would also work on a multifrequency detector. Like the way White’s V3i coils also work on the MXT. Would be a brilliant move if they were thinking in that direction.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sven1 said:

Who knows how far this Simplex project is going,on its way to being the perfect product? For the price this detector is getting better and better.

So far, Simplex is far from perfect in my reality, though it looks great on paper.  It is really having trouble hitting anything decently at depth in my test garden (I am talking nickels, dimes, minie balls and small/large brass buckles and buttons at a mere 6 inches) that the Vanquish is able to ping with comparative ease.  Air tests show the Simplex hitting test targets just fine so it is not a gross problem with the detector/coil as far as I can tell.  I am hoping the update, which I haven't loaded yet, will make a difference.  I really like the feature set, including what Nokta has added with this last update.  I need to do some more testing (and documented video evidence) with the as delivered software before I switch to the upgrade so more to come.  I am really rooting for this detector as I like the ergonomics and features and have no preconceived notions or biases to any one brand as I own Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Teknetics, XP, Minelab products in addition to the Simplex.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

So far, Simplex is far from perfect in my reality, though it looks great on paper.  It is really having trouble hitting anything decently at depth in my test garden

If the Simplex at $259 detected as well as any of the more expensive Nok/Mak detectors, what do you suppose might happen to sales of those more expensive models?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

If the Simplex at $259 detected as well as any of the more expensive Nok/Mak detectors, what do you suppose might happen to sales of those more expensive models?

The purpose and context of my post was to inject some reality into the OP postulating that Nokta was incrementally increasing the Simplex capability into some "perfect product" (his words, not mine) and my only comparison was against a similarly priced entry level competitor that performed better.  I don't have any of the other Nokta detectors mentioned and did not plan to show it perform against the likes of a Deus or Equinox, which is neither relevant nor appropriate.  In other words, I know your question is rhetorical, Steve, but I assure you that I am not falling into the common trap we repeatedly see on You Tube of someone trying to compare a Yugo to a Tesla.  Also, there is nothing special about my test garden, I mainly use it to tune my ears to GPX audio prior to a relic hunt and test my GPX to various relatively shallow relic targets with different coil and soil timing settings combinations as a functional equipment check before hauling out to a site.  It is not meant to test the limits of detection of even a VLF detector, by any means.  That is why I was surprised by the Simplex performance.

• Like 2

Maybe Nokta/Makro's marketing strategy is to do a software upgrade and preform a little better and still get some decent coil choices for less. Some hobbyist's are exactly that hobbyist', and choose not to spend a ton of money to enjoy a part time hobby and still be able to upgrade their machine with extra coils for less. We have to remember that at least 50% of buyers are new to the hobby. I started with a whites coinmaster 2/db and thought it was the greatest.(not so much now). The simplex by all accounts is a good machine and should not be faulted. Nokta/Makro knows this and is directing sales to help out people who don't want to drop $800.00 on a machine that they will only use maybe 25 times a year. For most beginners the simplex will be a great choice. Will it find gold at 20'' No, will it find silver at 14'' No, but will it find someone memories with their kids? YES. I think we all know that lower priced machines only preform so well, So why do we all want the detector from the gods above, for only $250.00. Would you be willing to trade your gpz 7000 for the simplex ? The simplex is a good start out machine, that most will find enjoyable and be happy with. If I had to guess the simplex is their best selling machine and I doubt an upgrade will compete with their higher priced machines, and maybe make some want some to advance in capabilities. I think we sometimes push away some people from the hobby by confusion to products and our bias to the best of the best. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dogodog said:

Maybe Nokta/Makro's marketing strategy is to do a software upgrade and preform a little better and still get some decent coil choices for less. Some hobbyist's are exactly that hobbyist', and choose not to spend a ton of money to enjoy a part time hobby and still be able to upgrade their machine with extra coils for less. We have to remember that at least 50% of buyers are new to the hobby. I started with a whites coinmaster 2/db and thought it was the greatest.(not so much now). The simplex by all accounts is a good machine and should not be faulted. Nokta/Makro knows this and is directing sales to help out people who don't want to drop $800.00 on a machine that they will only use maybe 25 times a year. For most beginners the simplex will be a great choice. Will it find gold at 20'' No, will it find silver at 14'' No, but will it find someone memories with their kids? YES. I think we all know that lower priced machines only preform so well, So why do we all want the detector from the gods above, for only $250.00. Would you be willing to trade your gpz 7000 for the simplex ? The simplex is a good start out machine, that most will find enjoyable and be happy with. If I had to guess the simplex is their best selling machine and I doubt an upgrade will compete with their higher priced machines, and maybe make some want some to advance in capabilities. I think we sometimes push away some people from the hobby by confusion to products and our bias to the best of the best. 

If this is just general commentary in response to the philosophy of Nokta supporting this detector with frequent updates and cautionary remarks against folks with unrealistic expectations trying to conflate the Simplex into a GPZ or posting disappointment because it doesn't perform like a high end detector, I just want to say, I get it and you don't need to read the rest of this. 

But if it is in response to what I posted previously, something is perhaps being taken out of context and just want to set the record straight on what I am trying to do. 

I know it is a common concern that detector nerds/snobs try to take out an entry level detector and  try to compare it to something in a completely different performance class and price range.  Someone said it is going to be a perfect product, I am having trouble picking up easy targets in a test garden that an entry level Vanquish is detecting.  That was my only point.  I went to great pains to point out that I had no preconceived notions or bias.  Could be operator error, could be a bad setup, could be a bad machine, could be underperforming software.  I merely indicated that I am investigating it and trying to do it in a fair manner against other machines in the same capability class.  I would like to understand if the issue is fundamentally with the machine, it's delivered software, or whether the issues resolve with the new software release.  I know that Simplex is entry level and am trying to be true to that frame of reference in my approach to testing it.  If anything, I am biased the other way as I am honestly rooting for it to be a halfway decent performer with great features at its price point especially as Nokta continues to support it with performance updates and new accessories.  Will follow this up with hopefully some useful, and perhaps documented, info later this week.  The biggest challenge in this effort is figuring out how to properly use the GoPro.

• Like 1

Nothing is ever perfect for everyone, perfection is almost never unattainable. Its fun trying and can be rewarding.

But now isn't everyone looking for the perfect detector, how many have many detectorists gone thru 5-10-20-30-100?

You never find it...............I know I am a perfectionist, always looking to improve something. Anything I build far exceeds most anyone's  expectations.

I think Nokta/Makro is trying to build the "perfect" detector to meet the masses. Clearly taking in suggestions regarding improvements and implementing them with updates in record time. If the Simplex met 20% of potential buyers needs and the rest are on the fence due to lack of features or performance. Why not update the detector to meet the needs and wants of another 20%. And keep the price the same. Then try to grab another percentage of potential buyers?  All this within reason not to affect sales of the higher end models. Which are jam packed with features, performance, modes and multitude of setting adjustments. Kind of like an budget priced Porsche car and its big brother the Turbo.

Any Simplex updates is a bonus and makes a more adaptable and fun detector to use.

• Like 2