Minelab GPZ 7000, The Controversy Ends?

Well, the GPZ 7000 has done again what nearly every new Minelab model has done. Introduction, big debate and controversy, slowly fading to acceptance of what is.

It does surprise me how quickly the controversy just cut off however. We had one last burst from a couple guys on Finders Forum who were hating the GPZ, they sold them, and that has been that. Everyone now seems to have moved on and it is hard to find much discussion at all pro or con.

Some people seem to think that means sales have not been that good but I do not think that is the case at all. I am more surprised at how many people seem to have a GPZ now because I thought the price would be a real obstacle. I admit to secretly hoping that might prove to be the case (sorry Minelab) as it would not hurt my feelings being the only guy out there swinging a GPZ. Just the opposite however - seems like everyone and their brother has one. Oh well.

There is much a person could complain about but despite a couple tries I never could get klunker to really let loose on the forum with his unfiltered thoughts on the GPZ. The reality is all the negatives tend to get offset by one basic fact - the GPZ is a very powerful metal detector. I sold almost all my other nugget detectors and have been swinging the GPZ almost exclusively ever since. It packs both small gold sensitivity and extreme depth into one unit with one coil, and given that I can only swing one detector at a time I have every confidence it is what I want to be using. The only exception is in heavy trash, where I still might switch to a VLF.

So those of you with a GPZ. Any thoughts now that some time has passed? Anyone that used one and still just really prefers to use a GPX or something else instead? Come on guys, let it all hang out one last time and give your best summary of what you think about the GPZ for those out there who may still be mulling the whole thing over.

• Like 3

I'll be keeping mine that's for sure. I hate it for pinpointing although I am getting better at it. There have been several small gold nuggets that I left and went back to later and easily found with the 2300.The GPS is useless for me since I already carry one built into my 2 way radio that has high res topo maps. Her language is very complex and that is good and bad I guess. Nugget shape has a lot to do with it I think.  Klunker does not like the harness I know that for sure. He easily swings his 7000 all day long without one.....

strick

Although I read every scientific journal I can get my hands on and appreciate every new electronic gadget, instrument and advancement that hits the stores, I don't plan to buy a GPZ 7000.  For two basic reasons-I can't afford it and after watching it in action and seeing the coil weigh issue, I realize I just wouldn't be able to handle the unit physically for as long as I hunt.   And I think that is too bad, because I'm sure I would find a lot of nuggets with it and I believe those of you who can afford one are getting gold.

I am interested in the SDC 2300 and know it would help me pull in a few more nuggets-soon maybe.  Until then we are getting nice nuggets regularly with the Gold Bug 2 and the 4500.  In fact my brother and I are on track for getting gold every month of 2015-last week alone several grams each.  So, using Steve's detecting hints in ICMJ and some of my own, I'll be detecting Oregon, Idaho and Nevada for a few more years.

With the GPZ Minelab, have done what they have always done without exception. Their top model has always been the world best gold detector and the GPZ is no different. Other than its GPS access  problems which has been well covered in a earlier thread, I`m a very happy GPZ user. It`s coil weight being I guess my other minor bitch, the GPZ is a gold magnet.

Minelab should have only made mine, well maybe perhaps one for you too, Steve.

Of course this is my take. 10 out of 10 for the GPZs gold ability, 1 out of 10 for its GPS.

Still take 3 detectors with me, gpz,  gpx with 10x5 DD, and a modded gold bug pro 5"round

GPZ 7000 Nothing better on old patches, use it for hunting new ones as well. Swing it 75% of the time

Gold Bug Pro for trashy areas, really small gold, and to pinpoint in those 2+ foot gpz holes. Swing it 15% of the time.

GPX 5000 with 10x5DD for large bolder type areas, bad iron stone, and miserable basalt. Swing it 10% of the time

The GPX is still the best on all different types of hot ground.

• Like 1

I would like to be able to put in my 2 cents worth but from the time i got my 7000, i have not been able to get out and really use it due to continuing ditch repairs and water issues here on the ranch this year. All i have been able to do is practice in my home made nugget patch out back of the house, as for the weight of the detector itself i don't have a problem with it but i have not spent an entire day out in the real world working it yet.

Now that the irrigation season will be over by October and i get ready to head south  this winter i know i will  give the 7000 a good work out and see for myself what it will do.

GPZ. The detector I hate to love. I will not argue that it is generally the best gold detector made. But it could have been so much better.

I'm swamped at work for the next couple of weeks but when I get the time I will deliver an "R" rated diatribe and some deserved praise for the Z.

I have also learned some tricks that help faster nugget recovery and pin pointing as that seems to be an issue with the Z that pops up quite often

• Like 2

I'm guessing a lot of the griping has quieted down because it's pretty much all been said and it sure seems like Minelab just doesn't care about consumer input on this particular detector to me. But if criticism is invited, then this is my thing:

Each subsequent GPX release produced a machine that completely replaced the previous one. Even though plenty of people still say their SD's, 3500's, and 4500's are every bit as good (or better) as a 5000 - I don't buy it. I've used (almost) every one of those machines and its just not true unless you are only detecting in one very specific set of conditions. If I own a 5000 and a 4500 there is no reason I'd keep swinging the 45. Objectively speaking, the 5000 is much more versatile and is a complete replacement for the 45, and the 45 is a complete replacement for the 4000/3500 and so on.

The thing is, the 7000 at this point in time will not completely replace my GPX, and for that reason alone I don't think the controversy is over. Most people who spend enough time with the 7000 to become proficient with it I think will agree it is the most powerful detector on the market, but while each previous GPX model had an increase in versatility, the GPZ is to me less versatile than its predecessors.

I can cover 3x more ground while patch hunting with the 45 and I spend probably 75% of my time doing that so I am still swinging the 45 constantly. I also don't have to treat my 45 like a princess. I seriously fear for my investment if i take the 7000 anywhere rough. Yes, I miss some gold that only the 7000 will hear, but $/time it's just not worth it unless I know I am in an area where most of the gold is specimen, crystalline, or extremely sharp/spongy edged. This makes up a small portion of my personal detecting regimen. The 7000 requires about a 50% slower sweep speed to be thorough, and even if I wanted to go faster the coil gives me tennis elbow if I swing to fast just from the sheer momentum of stopping and starting the sweep with the same gusto as you would do with say a 17x11 on a GPX. It's the side to side momentum and not the weight that is a problem for me.

Most of the other problems have been discussed ad infinitum. For me the 3 big ones are that it's hugely, offensively overpriced, it's meant to be a professional tool but is built like a toy almost everywhere except the upper carbon fiber shaft, and to me it seems like ML released a fancy new flagship and then more or less abandoned it. I guess I have a 4th gripe too and that is that ML couldn't be bothered to include detector covers, coil covers, an extra battery, or a hardshell case on the most expensive consumer detector in the world - these are things you often find on even mid level products from detectors to tablets, but its not really a game changer like the first 3.

On the abandoment though for instance, we've heard literally nothing about coils and it's 6 months in. They just announced they wouldn't produce a larger capacity battery. It's been near to completely impossible to get accesories. It appears the machine is designed for firmware updates, and its obvious to me that there are many areas they could easily improve with a simple update, yet nothing. Not even an announcement saying they are willing or able to pursue firmware updates. Hell, it took multiple months of pleading and grovelling just to get a $5 ferrite ring sent out to me, and only then because a country level manager got involved.

Even if the 7000 was a complete replacement for the 5000 I'd be very hesistant to make it my only machine at this point. I honestly can't tell if ML even cares about it or the customers who chunked down the price of a good used backhoe to buy the freakin' thing.

Speaking of backhoes, it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to justify keeping the 7000 in the back of my truck all the time when I quite literally just had the chance to buy one for the same price I paid for the GPZ. I think its a great detector. But it has problems, some of them ML appears to have no intention of ever addressing or solving. If a person is bit richer than myself it might not be a problem to keep it, but I have to make sure that any big expenditure I own is being used to full potential, so at this point my plan is to sell it after I finish cleaning out all my old patches.

I will note here though, the one used machine I saw posted for sale on this forum and Rob's forum took something like 3-4 months to sell. And it was almost brand new and had something like 3 price reductions far under MSRP.  When the 5000 came out there were tons of used machines being sold and they were selling quick for much higher prices. So I'm in the camp of not seeing anywhere close to the demand for this machine that the 4500 or 5000 had when they were new.

• Like 8

Gerry's Detectors announced the battery thing last week, and I read it on a forum somewhere else the same day but I can't remember where it was, I think it was one of the Aussie forums though. Maybe one of the dealers that browse this forum can comment on the battery thing with more info... I'd love to have a larger battery if this info is wrong but it doesn't sound like it is.

I also tried to buy just a regular sized (not the CTX one) replacement battery last week along with a shipment of other stuff I ordered and it was still not available though, so even regular ones appear to be only sparsely available every now and then depending on the dealer at this point still.