Minelab GPZ 7000, The Controversy Ends?

Steve I agree with you entirely, but what about something like what Wes is talking about?

This may seem picky (but it's not).

On a mulit-thousand dollar piece of equipment

supposedly built for rugged use in remote areas, 

why in the world should the customer have to be "gentle"

when extending a shaft from the collapsed travel position?

Shouldn't these detectors be rugged enough to withstand thousands of times extending that shaft?

If we do not demand equipment that works

we are going to get caught out in the middle of nowhere

with some plastic piece that breaks if it is not used gently.

A badly designed part is something a customer should not have to accept

on a multi-thousand dollar product.

Minelab should jump all over issues like this.

They should acknowledge problems and correct them immediately.

The customer confidence that would build is incalculable.

Instead, we have silence.

Yep, silence.  I emailed ML with a bit of info from a member of staff in Adelaide and they only said how they upheld the highest standards.  I just said about SHs comment on the Z, that I might consider getting one if they do an up-grade on it.  But here's another example of cheap crap when it comes to the build of the machine.  

I really don't get it!

Tortuga, I tried electrical tape at first to increase the diameter a bit and it was too thick to get the shaft back in. I tried duct taping it on the outside but that only works for about half a day.

I'll be back out in the field again soon, will let you know if I run across anything that works, let me know if you find something too.

On another 7000 note, I break 2 or 3 nylon bolts a year on my GPX. I keep a little bag of them in my pack. Does anyone know if they sell replacement uh...thingmajigs...to hold the 7000 coil to the lower shaft? I wouldn't mind having at least one in my pack just in case because that would suck to have to wait however many weeks or months to get one shipped while out in the field.

Just get some good enamel paint and paint it on.  Do one coat let it dry and try for a fit.  Maybe another coat if it isn't snug enough.

I don't think it matters what people make things out of, I have known people to wreck a D9 Cat, Because I am a fussy ole fart I think the ZED would last me 15-20 years but that's how I look after or Treat my things,

My family had an Alluvial set up prospecting lease in North Queensland and one of them Trashed a Brand New Hitachi 270 in less than 3 months. and that cost 40K to put right.

Like all things prevention is better than Cure.

john

• Like 1

I don't think it matters what people make things out of, I have known people to wreck a D9 Cat

Plastic D9's for everyone then?  :blink:

• Like 1

It is all so puzzling since Fisher, Garrett, Tesoro, and White's never make mistakes and communicate with their customers on a near daily basis about what they are doing. Why can't Minelab be more like them?

Truth is they are all the same, the only difference is you pay more for a Minelab, and that makes people resentful. The only company that has been breaking the mold on customer communications is Nokta/Makro.

• Like 3

If I was in the US or OZ I would buy the 5k in a heartbeat, but the junk factor is the problem here, I am watching Nokta/Makro very closely, because if the top 4 don't learn something from them then they will loose their place in the market, because I am very close to buying the Core of one of the Racers when the new one is released,

I don't have a good enough excuse/reason to buy 7k but maybe the 5k ??, But there are a couple of machines that have got me at the point of spending again The ATX and the Core, I really like the CTX/GPZ style but there is a couple of things I don't like One is the FBS Iron masking and the problems people have had with the build.