First Finds, And A Couple Of Nox Questions

Bash

In my opinion, and (somewhat  limited) experience!  The dispersion, or density of targets is definitely more of a factor on the Equinox, than my previous detectors!

I feel pretty confident with it at the beachs; few issues!  But in many of my local parks, it still tries to "kick my a**"! ( or i'm a dumba**)🤯 ?!

Today was a perfect example! (Heat not withstanding)!  My 2nd time out this week, since the lockdown eased up! 1st was a beach hunt; easy peasy! Today a local trashy park (with several power lines nearby) in what is now a "reclaimed" neighborhood! I had to work hard  (adjustments to detector; mostly hunted Park 1) to pull the clad and pennies out of it! 

No silver (Not a surprise!), a few dog tags, some keys, copper pipe, electrical parts, rusty metal, a ton of aluminum; and those damn twistoff aluminum caps, and others, everywhere! Which i absolutely hate!🤬   It gave me a headache after 2 hours, and i called it quits! Ended up with a few dollars in change!

This is when i sometimes switch to my AT Pro!  A less advanced detector? Yes! But using it in this type of park? Sooo much easier!  But i always feel like i will miss any deep targets (old coins, etc..) using it!  So i try to alternate! 

So it's "nice" (Not)! To see that there are others in the same boat as myself!

I guess we will all keep plugging away,  till we  "Flatten the learning Curve"😁 in unraveling the intricacies of the Knox!!👍👍

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Joe D. said:

This is when i sometimes switch to my AT Pro!  A less advanced detector? Yes! But using it in this type of park? Sooo much easier!  But i always feel like i will miss any deep targets (old coins, etc..) using it!  So i try to alternate!

Is it the coil size & shape, the gain you're running, or something else?  (BTW, what gain are you running?)  I don't have a Garrett AT Pro, but I don't notice the Equinox being much different in terms of target confusion (e.g. multiple targets in the coil detection zone) than my other detectors.  In fact I think with the stock 11 inch coil, the Eqx provides the best separation.  Greater than 95% of my hunting has been with gain/sensitivity in the 18-22 range, Park 1, no discrimination threshold or notching, recovery speed 5-6, and iron bias either Fe=0 or F2=5.

• Like 1

GB,

I was running stock coil, sensitivity between 15-23 based on ground feedback, and powerline proximity! I also think I'm getting a fair amount of wifi interference from many nearby houses! Ground balanced numerous times! And intentionally ran in multi Park 1, for most of the time! I didn't want to switch to single frequency this go around! I want to rehunt when i have both detectors next time, to compare! And will experiment when i have more time!

I just really need to put more hours on it to acclimate! This park is large, and i was concentrating on just a relatively small area in the shaded areas, under some large shade trees! It has had a few regrading's over the years, so I'm wading through the last 20-30 years of trash, and clad! Hopefully i will be able to get to some good stuff (40's- 60's) here!

Got a few pics now! One junk find was actually the oldest item found that day! A little army guy in a turret,  in a sort of armored vehicle! At one time, he could rotate around!   But interestingly,  made in England! Not China, Japan, or Taiwan! Which is rare here!

20200529_122812.jpg

20200529_122718.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, you already know i have been eyeing the Vanqish!  But waiting to see what the Apex can do!

Just as well, my A/C tapped out a few weeks ago, and i had to spend $6500 to replace! So, looks like I'll have to keep using other machines through you guys! In the mean time, i have plenty to learn on the Knox!👍👍

8 hours ago, Joe D. said:

I also think I'm getting a fair amount of wifi interference from many nearby houses!

I hate it when that happens.  Turning down the recovery speed can help with that, trading off with turning down the gain/sensitivity.  But lowering the sensitivity is fine.  I've found plenty of coins in parks running sens at 18.

I just really need to put more hours on it to acclimate!

Definitely.  I don't know if there is a detector that one can just take out of the box and know what it's saying from day 1, but the Equinox certainly isn't that.

One junk find was actually the oldest item found that day! A little army guy in a turret,  in a sort of armored vehicle! At one time, he could rotate around!   But interestingly,  made in England! Not China, Japan, or Taiwan! Which is rare here!

That's a Matchbox vehicle, which were made in England until 1985.  The boxes are often worth as much or more than the actual toys themselves, but we detectorists don't have much hope of finding those.  I've recovered a lot of its cheap cousins -- HotWheels, but only one or two vintage Matchbox toys.  Nice find!

• Like 2