Hello From Alaska

Boogness

Been on the forum for a good amount of time. Looking for a little help on finding land for lease on claims. Walking into this blind without any knowledge or help has been hindering for me. Any kind of help with permitting process and leasing process would be of great help. My dad has always been around to help with gear and grunt work but lacks the patience of the books part. That’s about all I got...

You should be asking Steve H. he will be able to help you out the most.

Good luck and happy hunting!

You mean finding somebody with a claim and then leasing it from them? As opposed to finding a claim of your own?

Either way it’s the same thing.... research. You have to decide what your range is... how far and how remote can you go? Then within range start researching the mining districts. Find a district that floats your boat, then dig into claims research. To lease a claim you have to research them, contact owners, and negotiate lease deals. To find your own claim you have to locate where claims are to find open land that may be worth staking. Or buy one.

Permitting is just more research, either state land or federal land requirements. So you need to find out where you are going to be then dig in on learning all that.

To be honest there is a lot to it and it is not for the faint of heart. All you can do is dive in. Start here...

and here for kind of a generalized process with a different state as example...

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/3595-determining-where-to-prospect-for-gold-nuggets/

• Like 4

Hi Steve,

yes I am looking to lease a claim, I live in wasilla Alaska. Staking a claim seems like too much for a beginner with no knowledge. Since I don’t have a lot of equipment I’m looking to get my feet wet with the knowledge and experience to see if it’s worth investing in a 6” dredge With diving equipment and possibly a mini excavator and small trommel. As of now I don’t have any friends that share the same interest I do. As of now they’d rather let me do all the investing, research, and leg work before they’d want to tag along to help once everything is in place for them to come “visit”. 

• Like 1

Yup, that’s generally how it goes with “partners”. :smile:

So basically use the Alaska online claims search to research and contact claiming owners in your chosen area. It’s also worth contacting people who have claims advertised for sale to possibly make a deal with them. Claims often don’t sell or they have other claims or know somebody. At least you have easy contact info.

Thanks Steve, glad you chimed in on this post. I wasn’t expecting you to but you helped out a lot putting up links to more information I can use. 

• Like 1

Welcome, pick a spot , do the research, stay the path, good luck !!! You'll find out who your better friends are when you start moving dirt !!!!

• Like 1

Welcome Boog, Your in the right place. Steve and the gang will most definitely point you in the right direction for mining leases. I wish you the best of luck and hope all works out well. Don't be a stranger and post some of the gold that you have found. Here in PA the yellow stuff is not so much. I like to live vicariously through other gold prospectors and detectors Ha Ha. Glad you joined!!!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, Boogness!

Hope you find a great claim to work.  I'm interested in doing something similar in Idaho/Montana, but am not quite there yet.

Best of luck in your quest!

• Like 1