Gold Nugget Air Tests GMX 24K MX7 MXT V3i

On 4/21/2020 at 2:10 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

There actually is a 6” concentric for all models used in the test, which would be more apples to apples. Some of what you are seeing here is coil differences, not detector differences.

For an official company video I find this quite disappointing, in particular for the reason you mention.  We aren't told the gains that these were operated at.  Are the 'swings' over the hotspots for all coils?  Yes, just an air test but even air tests should be done properly.

Why does the MXT at 14 kHz outperform the V3i (at 22.5 kHz)?  Is it the size of the targets?  Similar to above, we don't know if the V3i was operating in multi-frequency or one of the single frequencies.

Not blaming the actress here; I assume she was coached, but if not she should have been and it's her superior who is at fault.  I wonder what Digger Bob thinks of this....

Whites Spectra V3 in 22.5khz ... has only an average setting of preamp RX Gain = 7 and sensitivity DS = 85 ... in the "Prospecting program", and also has Ground fIlter at 10Hz high...., rec delay 90...

This setting of the detector is intended for work in more mineralized terrain....

Of course, you can increase this too conservative setting to better sensitivity values ... and increase the range and sensitivity of the detector ...

You also have the option of using TX bost and you will achieve even greater range and sensitivity .. on low mineralized terrain ..

As for the range and sensitivity of the frequency itself 22.5khz ... versus 14khz .. the height of the frequency is only one ... of several factors .. that affect the range and sensitivity of the detector ...

I will explain it later and state the ranges of various detectors and frequencies on very small gold .. sizes 0.02 grams, 0.1 grams and 1 grams ..

• Like 2

For example, when setting the Spectra V3 to 22.5 khz, RX gain 9 / and sensitivity Ds to 95, and 7.5hz band Ground filter., Recovery delay 70...... will be on 6x10 "Mars sniper coil ... range in airtest at:

0.02 gram  24k Gold - is 4.8cm ..

0.1 gram   24k Gold -is 11.5cm .. 

0.4 gram  /Fine- 37-small pieces./ 24k Gold  -is 10 cm...                                                                   

0.5 gram   24k Gold is 18cm..                                                                                                               

1.0 gram 24k Gold  is 21cm..                                                                                                                             1297569577_Februar7iphone5S2019023_DxO.thumb.jpg.5757071b452d811ff188e9f670cd707a.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 2

8 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

0.1 gram   24k Gold -is 11.5cm ..

So you get 11.5 cm air test on ~1.5 grain piece of gold and the video shows half that depth (~6.2 cm) with a piece 3 times as big.

Am I right about that?  Do you know the purity of your 0.1 gram test sample?

• Like 1

Long story short, a properly tuned V3i will outperform an MXT in air tests on gold targets. As always in ground performance is a different thing. The V3i ground balance system leaves a lot to be desired in bad ground.

I think this video is fine if viewed as a rough comparison of what to expect of the machines as purchased with stock coils.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

So you get 11.5 cm air test on ~1.5 grain piece of gold and the video shows half that depth (~6.2 cm) with a piece 3 times as big.

Am I right about that?  Do you know the purity of your 0.1 gram test sample?

All tested gold is pure 24 carat gold divided from 1 gram 24 carat gold brick ...

So even 0.1 gram is pure 24 carat gold ....

It's not my idea. ,,. I took this standardized test from a colleague ... who detects gold in rivers and streams ... ,, where there is no strong mineralization ...

Such a test quickly reveals the relative sensitivity of the detector and coil to small as well as larger gold.

And most importantly, it will show what the detector settings should be correct ... so that it can achieve good detection results.

You may notice 0.4 grams / small pieces of gold / a test sample of gold with a range of 10 cm ..... and you will see a significantly reduced detection range .... compared to a 0.5 gram solid piece of gold .. where the range is up to 18 cm ... -
So the reach will still depend on how gold is internally, structurally compact.

Airtest ...
Here we come close to what the detector can detect correctly on low mineralized terrain ... but you have to count about  minus 15% -20% from the airtest to achieve real depth results in field tests.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This 0.05 gram 3x5mm O-shaped  gold  micro-ring buried at 10cm is my equivalent of 0.1 gram of gold on my low mineralized test field.

Each Detector must have a range of at least 12cm-13cm in the Airtest ... so that this ring can correctly detect ...

Whites Spectra V3 at 22.5khz , 5hz Band filter and a  very high  RX Gain and Ds sensitivity setting proves it ....

IMG_20200329_181036.thumb.jpg.c9527e326dba299b93447cf0f82b733f.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------    

There is one thing that Steve has already written ... the range of the Spectra V3 detector will still depend on the detector setting for the given mineralized terrain ... For terrain with higher mineralization ... You must use a higher Ground filter / 10 Hz high or 12hz Band filter / a also lower preamp Rx Gain 4-7 .. and that means lower range of the detector ... even when testing in air ..

Now ... Count the still natural 30-50% signal attenuation in mineralized terrain ... and you will get to the real range of the detector in such terrain ...

Gold detectors are already pre-set and optimized for work in high mineralization..so they will achieve trouble-free, stable detection and good detection results even on such demanding terrain...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/21/2020 at 12:10 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Interesting they put the 6” round concentric on the GMX and 6 x 10 DD on the 24K, making it seem like the GMX gets more depth, even though they are the same detector. There actually is a 6” concentric for all models used in the test, which would be more apples to apples. Some of what you are seeing here is coil differences, not detector differences.

I believe the test was done with stock coils that come with the machine from the factory. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 11:23 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I think this video is fine if viewed as a rough comparison of what to expect of the machines as purchased with stock coils.

Yes, as was noted earlier this is a video comparing stock coils, and I don’t have a problem with that per se. It just that the video does not explain that to the newbie who is watching, implying that one detector is performing better than another because of some inherent difference in the detectors being tested. There is some of that here, but a large portion of what you are seeing is coil differences, not detector differences.

If you want to display detector differences, use the same coil on all the detectors. If you want to display coil differences, use the same machine with different coils. In this case, it’s a mixed bag and so all you can really say is it shows how these various machines do as sold out of the box in air tests when compared to each other.

• Like 2