Tennessee Coin & Relic Hunting With A Pi

4 hours ago, Smithobx said:

You might want to look into a QED made in Australia. Very lite weight and much less money than a 4500, plus a 5 year warranty. 

Good point.  The only down side being available direct only from AU so you have to add in the shipping cost and  a lack of iron rejection from what I can tell (correct me if I'm wrong QED experts) which is a nice feature to have when hunting in nail and farm junk infested relic sites (vs. Prospecting) which is what I assume is the OP's intended use.

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Good point.  The only down side being available direct only from AU so you have to add in the shipping cost and  a lack of iron rejection from what I can tell (correct me if I'm wrong QED experts) which is a nice feature to have when hunting in nail and farm junk infested relic sites (vs. Prospecting) which is what I assume is the OP's intended use.

You are correct, it does not have iron rejection and I agree it is a useful feature in some relic sites. Like most detectors there are “tells”with the QED and I am still learning them. Even with shipping cost it is  quite a bit less than a third the cost of a SDC 2300. I have been pleased relic and beach hunting with mine in ground that gives my Equinox issues. It performs very well in Northern Va. red clay, which I think you are familiar with. At the risk of sounding like a shill for QED ,which I am not, it is just a lot of PI for the money IMO.

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Smithobx said:

You are correct, it does not have iron rejection and I agree it is a useful feature in some relic sites. Like most detectors there are “tells”with the QED and I am still learning them. Even with shipping cost it is  quite a bit less than a third the cost of a SDC 2300. I have been pleased relic and beach hunting with mine in ground that gives my Equinox issues. It performs very well in Northern Va. red clay, which I think you are familiar with. At the risk of sounding like a shill for QED ,which I am not, it is just a lot of PI for the money IMO.

Great QED info.  Much appreciated.

• Like 1

I'm in extreme NE TN and even with the red clay VLF's are used most often. I don't have any issues using the NOX or Simplex+. Many people use the Garrett AT PRO and have very good luck with it. You're not going to like the red clay though. When it's dry it's like a rock. When it's wet it's like sticky staining torture that you can't pull your shovel out if! 

Check this out and look at the nice finds

.https://www.facebook.com/groups/easttnmetaldetecting/

7 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Bingo, I was having nightmares even reading about using these various PI's for relic sites.  

When I was the Virginia relic shootout at Dec. 2018, I saw several guys with high powered machines like the 4500.  And granted, they can cut "any soil".  And granted, they can get a coin to nearly 2 ft. deep, blah blah.    But let me tell ya something:  We didn't see those guys ANYWHERE near the sites where structures had been.   Ie.: there were a half dozen sites where old homes had been, that are nothing now but a giant swath of iron, with crockery and glass bits all over, etc.....   Those hunters with standard machines, which had disc., were able to pull some keepers from these areas (coins, buttons, etc.....).   But the pulse nugget machine guys were no where to be found.  

So sometimes  you have to be "careful  what you wish for".  The devil can be in the details.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Bingo, I was having nightmares even reading about using these various PI's for relic sites.  

When I was the Virginia relic shootout at Dec. 2018, I saw several guys with high powered machines like the 4500.  And granted, they can cut "any soil".  And granted, they can get a coin to nearly 2 ft. deep, blah blah.    But let me tell ya something:  We didn't see those guys ANYWHERE near the sites where structures had been.   Ie.: there were a half dozen sites where old homes had been, that are nothing now but a giant swath of iron, with crockery and glass bits all over, etc.....   Those hunters with standard machines, which had disc., were able to pull some keepers from these areas (coins, buttons, etc.....).   But the pulse nugget machine guys were no where to be found.  

So sometimes  you have to be "careful  what you wish for".  The devil can be in the details.

Tom -  Yep. That's why I relic detect in VA with a GPX but keep a Deus strapped to my back if I hit an iron patch or start digging out a hut or trash pit.  Or just as a change of pace if my shoulder hurts or the GPX mojo is just not happening.  Killer combo. #right_tool_for_the_job.

• Like 2