It’s About Amps And Not Volts......??

Tony

Okay all you propeller heads......

When it comes to PI detector power, it’s Amps that matter first.....correct ?

Minelab PI’s: Operate around the 7.2v but draw close to an Amp

White’s TDI: Operate at 12v to 16v but draw about half an Amp

So voltage is “electrical pressure” but Amperage is “the rate of electrical flow”.......

What controls the Amps........just the MOSFET 

Steve......didn’t know where to post this question so feel free to move as needed.

Thanks 

Tony 

Total power into the ground is watts. = V x A, so the Minelabs are running about 7.2 watts, and the TDI's are running anywhere from 6  to 8. One of the main factors effecting current through the coil is the DC resistance of the coil windings.

I'm not an engineer, and never played one on TV...LOL

Jim

• Like 2

I think you need this book now (see 2nd post of thread).  Do not pass Go.  Do not collect $200.

Total detector power draw and coil power are not the same. What if one machine has a big colour LCD screen with backlight, and the other has none?
What if one uses modern efficient components ( amplifiers/microprocessors/voltage regulators etc etc) and one uses a 20 year old design with a few tweaks?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PimentoUK said:

Total detector power draw and coil power are not the same. What if one machine has a big colour LCD screen with backlight, and the other has none?
What if one uses modern efficient components ( amplifiers/microprocessors/voltage regulators etc etc) and one uses a 20 year old design with a few tweaks?

I agree, power is just one part of the equation. Circuit design, especially a well designed noise eliminating receive circuit using the highest quality components.... there is a lot more difference between a TDI and Minelab than just battery power.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Tony said:

When it comes to PI detector power, it’s Amps that matter first.....correct ?

Nope. It's all about what is done with the amps and volts that maters first.

12 minutes ago, klunker said:

Nope. It's all about what is done with the amps and volts that maters first.

Aye, gold detecting is 99% about lots of time spent swinging that coil, don`t need to be a propeller head to use a detector, todays detectors are easy to use.  KISS

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I think you need this book now (see 2nd post of thread).  Do not pass Go.  Do not collect $200.

I read it and it is awesome (but then again as an electrical engineer by training, I guess you CAN call me a propellor head).  Explodes a lot of myths and shows that the number of variables in detector design combined with the number of variables in the detecting environment means there are very few absolutes in detecting.  In other words, it is a heck of a lot more than about the amps, the volts, or the watts.

• Like 3