Hello From Atascadero Ca

garylee

Just out of work at the moment because of all this Corona Virus stuff. I bought a detector to get me out of the house and I figured outdoors, good exorcise,  and sun. Just me and my detector and hopefully some silver and a few gold nuggets.  Away from all the Corona crowds.

• Like 4

Gary,

Glad to see you joined up with all of us. Hopefully the work outage won't be that long. DP is a great site full of very smart and talented detectors. Please post your questions and finds, We all are looking forward to helping you along the way. Good luck on your new machine.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums. I see you snagged an AT Max. I am a long time AT Pro user and Good friend runs a Max. Good machine but if it tends to eat up batteries you can snag a set of rechargeable AA lithiums like BlackUbe which I use on my Tesoro or the RnB battery pack made for the AT series.

I have the RnB on my AT Pro and get a good 40 hours on them. Performance wise the BlackUbes will do the same but I think the RnB will give you proper read out on battery level. BlackUbes will run flat out then run out so the battery indicator might not be accurate. RnB are pricier but either option will keep you going strong for much longer.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum and I am happy to let you know that you have found some of the most knowledgeable people around.

They can help you with your new machine and give you some great advice if you should need it.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Gary. Hope we all get back to work soon but in the meantime, enjoy the heck out of that detector. Good luck!

Out there trying to get used to all the different noises of my detector. So far I have become an expert at bottle cap hunting. Today I had 12 caps, 2 pull tabs, 1 nail, 1 paint brush, and last but certainly not least 1 Lincoln memorial penny. I know I'm digging way to much garbage but the experts on forums like this say that in the beginning I should dig everything. That I hear is how I get used to the different sounds my Max makes and just what it means. I am trying to join the detector club in Oceano, CA  but they aren't meeting right now with all the Corona Virus lock down. I guess I'll just have to wait for some of the first hand expert advice that joining a club will bring. 

Hope you guys all find more silver than I did today.

Welcome, Gary!  Think of your detector as a new friend who speaks a different language.  Digging everything will teach you that language.

With the stock coil and have iron audio on, simply hit the edge of the target and if you get a grunt and the target is a high number like a really loud dime then it's a cap. DD coils in general will put flat iron objects like bottle caps, washers, oxen shoes etc way above the normal iron range where iron nails would be. If you are hunting in areas with lots of bottle caps like a park and want to do simple coin shooting then look into the small concentric coil and you can trim them out.

To quiet the machine down, nudge up the iron discrimination up as an example if your near some old buildings or fields where there are a lot of old square nails the iron discrim should be up around the low 30's. I set mine so the iron just makes a crackle sound. I keep iron audio off unless i want to do a quick iron check. You can set all this in your custom mode. The coin mode has basic discrimination pattern but you risk losing gold rings with that setting as gold and aluminum are mixed in that range. The marks on the display for iron, foil etc are just approximate.

The Max has a lot of power so your sensitivity might be plenty strong 2 clicks from max (default).

The most important thing you should do is keep your coil flat to the ground and just above it with consistent swing speed. I do 1 sec each way for the most part. Having a consistent swing speed will make it easier to hear the size of an object and will give you consistent VDI #'s on the display.

• Like 2

Welcome Gary!

You've landed in one of the best places on the internet to learn detecting. Lot's of knowledgeable and friendly folks ready to help!