My First V Nickel

Really nice, KAC! I found one today, too. Amazing coincidence!

Jim

• Like 1

Well done!  Missed it by a year or two (1885, 1886, 1912-S are the key dates not counting the 1913 which was a special issue for friends and benefactors).

It's interesting the order of coins we find for our checklists.  You've shown us 2-cent pieces, if I recall some early cupro-nickel Indian Heads and/or Flying Eagles, and multiple large cents including that recent 1798.  All of these before the much easier to find, more common V-nickel.  In my case I found a shield nickel a year before I got my first Buffie.  It (almost always) has something to do with the site.  Is it possible that your sites were occupied early and then returned to nature for a long period, before in some cases (e.g. schools) recently being reused?

Another question:  have you previously set your discrimination above nickels?

• Like 1

The land used to be owned by a Dr. that took care of Civ war soldiers. Then land was taken over by Nuns and the old camp area was used by the BoyScouts for good number of years. The camp area is still used and has a fire pit going back as long as I can remember. It is now a town forest/park.

I never disc out nickels. Worst case I will trim at the foil range on the Tejon but MK and AT P I just disc the iron as it they have VDI's to junk check for the most part. I also don't notch either machine.

• Like 1