This is an example of a mineral that develops an electrical charge during temperature change. Can anyone name this mineral? one clue it was discovered in Death Valley. 

IMG_4524.JPG

IMG_4525.JPG

IMG_4650.JPG

IMG_4651.JPG

• Like 4

Thats a very nice specimen of Colemanite.  Did you find it?  and yes I cheated 😉  https://www.minerals.net/mineral/colemanite.aspx?img=/Image/4/49/Colemanite.aspx

It looked like a borate crystal to me initially.  But didn't have the blue I associate with them and it was a bit thin.

• Like 3

Yes it is a nice specimen, i didn't know what it was either, when my wife showed it to me. My wife works for the Nevada division of Minerals so i am lucky to play with some cool minerals. Good job on doing research and id. 👍

ht

• 7 months later...

We occasionally go screen for Colemanite at Bristol dry Lake out near Desert Center, California. Pretty neat stuff! I’ll have to play around with its pyroelectric qualities sometime...😏

Here’s another interesting crystal that also comes from Searles Dry Lake out near Trona, CA.  It’s interesting in that it’s both a sulfate and a carbonate.  Look up Trona Gem-O-Rama for more info. Hopefully, collecting these Halite crystals will be open again for the public sometime soon.

image.thumb.jpg.bbfafac57dcdf4910b09fba552ec43bb.jpg

• Like 3