What's The Nugget Market Like Now?

The total price is auction fees right? It sold for $7250. Including total price of $ 8700 , thats a little over $83 a gram, that is pretty darn good..

1 minute ago, DolanDave said:

The total price is auction fees right? It sold for $7250.

Add the premium to the $7250 and that is what you have to send to Heritage.

• Like 1

Now, if I was selling the nugget or something similar I'd have to say I would want more than the nugget price but maybe less than the price with commissions.  We could split the difference but if I really liked the nugget ... it is priceless!  (My wife might not think so.  haha)

Then on the other hand if it was an attractive specimen I'd want double or triple or XXX the gold price.

18 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Jin

You can't tell a story like that without 'evidence!'  haha

Mitchel

Its a bit of a hassle to put my hands on my gold as i have it stored away in a safe place. When i add to my gold collection next (obviously when i can go detecting again ... and find something) I’ll take a photo and post it up. The dead giveaway that something’s not quite right is the rounded bits are a different colour than the rest of the nugget, the gold seems shinier.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Now, if I was selling the nugget or something similar I'd have to say I would want more than the nugget price but maybe less than the price with commissions.  We could split the difference but if I really liked the nugget ... it is priceless!  (My wife might not think so.  haha)

Then on the other hand if it was an attractive specimen I'd want double or triple or XXX the gold price.

You would cry if you saw all of the nuggets I have melted... and every specimen I have ever found has gone under the hammer!

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Gold Hound said:

You would cry if you saw all of the nuggets I have melted... and every specimen I have ever found has gone under the hammer!

I know.  I also know the economics of it for you also because the market just isn't that deep.  I would hope you take some good photos.

I liken it to someone who finds a beautiful piece of jewelry and doesn't know the owner.  Who will buy it?  Fortunately there are places like eBay but I have known some people say they take chains and melt them!  Ouch.

The reality of the market is that you have to find a buyer. Which is not easy especially if the nugget is over half an oz as not to many people have the lazy cash to invest in a larger nugget.

I did sell the crystal nuggets in these photos below for 150aud a gram 2 years ago. The fellow who bought them took them over to America and got 500us a gram for them at that big gold show you guys have every year. It was just over 3x the gold price at the time so I was pretty happy with that. The one at the top is 89g crystal and the 11 small ones on the left are also crystal the rest just got melted.

20170704_092541.thumb.jpg.0a2cb5b53e1e9c1a44592da9adb97d91.jpg 

20170704_092509.thumb.jpg.a16370e2557046f02073df889d187ec7.jpg 

Thankfully I didn't have to melt the crystal nuggets.

• Like 6

You would think that could have been a proper business for someone over they years but I've heard that it was unusual to have a nugget buyer you could rely upon to give you a fair price and him to make money also.  It is a quiet business here but there are a few website sales from finders who have a little patience to get their price on the better nuggets.

Some of the metal detector dealers also deal in nuggets.

In your case you could charge a Premium for Branded Nuggets.

Another Genuine Gold Hound Nugget (certificate and birth date/discovery date and/or video included)

You might have to hold off on exact place of birth!  haha

8 hours ago, Gold Hound said:

The fellow who bought them took them over to America and got 500us a gram for them at that big gold show you guys have every year.

I've been to the Tucson Show in years past and met an Australian dealer there at the show with lots of casts of the big nuggets and he did have some for sale.  I chatted him a bit but found out he was not a fan of the Zed.  This was early in its introduction and he told me that most in Australia would not pay that price and the performance was not worth it.  I don't know if he feels the same way now.