Want A Second Detector So Friends Can Tag Along

That's a very correct opinion Palzynski ..... who detects with Equinox ... gets used to working with Vanquish very quickly .... ,, practically the same item IDs and Audio help a lot here ...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

"A second detector for friend to tag along".  If they're "tagging along"  your activity probably wont be in the gold nugget search mode. The outing will be for a 'fun adventure'.  Get something inexpensive that produces like a Compadre, Silver U-max, or Ace 250.  I still on occasion take out my Compadre just because it brings a big grin to my face. It's light, dummy proof and finds the goods with the least amount of frustration. And they probably don't want to dig much more than 6 inches. 

When I need to supply a loaner, its always the EuroTek Pro.   They don't have to spend a lot of time learning it.  Its easy to setup, easy to use and finds stuff. 

HH

Mike 

• Like 1

my suggestion would be the tesoro mojave.
outstanding little detector, especially for the 'totters",
and "curb strips"..fantastic in iron, very simple to operate, lightweight,
about 2.2, lbs, good on batteries 1 9 volt around 20 hours.detector could be difficult to find,
but well worth the search.

(h.h.!)

j.t.

Great suggestions from everyone. I'm looking to buy a machine for my nephew to join me and my brother at the parks. I have an opportunity to buy a like new ACE 400 for $100. Should I spend a little more to get the simplex instead? Trying to keep it under $300 mark.

1 hour ago, Optix said:

I have an opportunity to buy a like new ACE 400 for $100

That's a good deal on a decent detector. I'd go that route. Then use the money you saved on a quality pinpointer.

• Like 1

It's call a Simplex not a Simple. The Simplex offers a lot of detector for the money but it's not the easiest detector to learn on. One thing that I don't like is the fact that it switches back too fast if you don't make an input very quickly. You have to know what you're doing and how to do it quick or you have to start back at the menu again. I think the 11" coil is too large for a beginner also. Makes pin pointing difficult for the newby. Setting the Disc is different than most detectors as it's really more of an adjustable notch without a separate discrimination adjustment.  I feel the Simplex is more a mid-level detector at a low-level price.

As a loner, I'd look to one of the turn it on and go detectors mention above.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Optix said:

Great suggestions from everyone. I'm looking to buy a machine for my nephew to join me and my brother at the parks. I have an opportunity to buy a like new ACE 400 for $100. Should I spend a little more to get the simplex instead? Trying to keep it under $300 mark.

Can’t go wrong. You can sell it for more if you don’t like it. If waterproof or manual ground balance is very important to you, then Simplex. But you still can’t miss on an Ace 400 for $100

And overall I agree with Tom. Despite the price a Simplex is not really what I would call an entry level machine, which implies ease of use. Extremely important in a loaner detector. I used to rent metal detectors, and frankly more than two controls starts to confuse people. Kind of why I suggested a Vanquish 340... K.I.S.S.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2020 at 11:43 AM, Optix said:

I'd buy the 400 for $100 without hesitation!!

I have a Tesoro Compadre I bought for $40. I keep it in the truck in case a homeowner or friend wants to try detecting.