Question About WM12 Charging

Why oh why does the WM12 take such an unusually long time to recharge when the GPZ battery charges in a couple of hours, and other electronic equipment charges in (much) less time than that? I am not actually complaining but I am very curious why this is so.

Anyone?

The charge socket for the WM12 is a Universal Serial Bus (USB). The international specification for USB version 3.0 limits the charging current to less than 1.5 amps per socket. So the WM12 and USB charging cable is designed to comply with this standard.

The battery charger circuit is designed by Minelab to safely charge the battery at a higher limited ampere rate that will not overheat or damage the battery.

Have a good day,
Chet

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Flak,

Do you have an old WM12?  Mine has taken longer as it has gotten older.  There are threads about that.

I had my WM12 portion of the Minelab charger go bad a couple of years ago.  I now use a separate USB to charge the WM12, WM10 and the Equinox (it didn't include a charger) and they vary it seems in charging time.

Mitchel

Flak,

I also had an original production WM12 that took forever to charge. I ended up getting a new one, that doesnt take that long to charge, but those darn things are not cheap....☹️

Dave

The battery is easy to replace. Just four Torx screws to open the case. No soldering required.

Several batteries are available on eBay.

Have a good day,
Chet

https://www.ebay.com/itm/0303-0036-New-Battery-for-Minelab-CTX-3030-WM-10-1100mAh-Equipment-Survey/133298441706?hash=item1f0934cdea:g:k78AAOSwtgNeFn6v

WM12 battery.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys. I do have a new-ish WM-12 and I use the usb cable plugged into the GPZ battery charger that has a usb port on the side. Thanks Chet for the slow-charge-for-safety information. It makes sense as your posts usually do.

I quite often find the light is still flashing on my WM12 after being on charge overnight yet when I connect to my GPZ is shows as being fully charged, so I go by that indicator now instead rather than worrying about what the light is doing. I charge mine every time I charge the GPZ battery anyway even though the WM12 can last double what the detector battery can, especially when using a booster speaker and/or headphones rather than the WM 12 speaker.

JP

Thank you JP, I have actually been doing the same thing - especially when I see that the unit seems to be happy to just keep on blinking. I didn't know the battery would far outlast a 7000 battery so that makes all the difference in my approach to how to handle it. I had never seen that information before.

30 minutes ago, phrunt said:

so the replacement will likely be the same?

Yes. Mine is a replacement.

As an option you can use the Quest WiFi system rather than the WM12. Just plug the Quest TX into the GPZ . You can Velcro the small transmitter onto the detector, and substitute the WM12 with the Quest RX. The receiver is more compact than the WM12 , has volume control, about the same battery life, arguably better audio, and faster charging. 

A further option is to use the Quest wireless headphones, doing away with the need for a RX unit. 

• Like 1