Searching For A Palladium Wedding Band

Propjob

Well, I am back from hibernation, and received a call to recover a lost Palladium ring.  The person was tossing a small ball with two hands up into a tree.  He felt the ring come off.  I went and searched the lawn in front of the tree for a fairly large area, then behind the tree, which is scrub brush and leaves..Real tough swinging a detector in that.  Do any of the members have an idea as to what the VDI should be.  I saw one post say 12 and 13, but others guessed it would be in the lower gold region.  I am using the EQ800, all metal mode , V2 update.  I would think that this should give a good signal as the loss was two days ago.  I am wondering ig the ring, being a light metal may have landed in the branches as it is similar to spruce boughs.  I am going back tomorrow, and look for ideas and known VDI's from others.

PROP

IMO....... you maybe way over using sensitivity AND under using disc.   Its not going to be a deep target if its a recent drop...... and its certainly not going to be say 4 and below or 20 and above.  You wont miss it running in disc or with a very low sensitivity.   Get rid of all those distractions.  

Thanks Dew,  This is a relatively quiet site.  I run the sensitivity at 19.  The rel hard part will be the brush.  All I have is the 11 inch coil, and due to the small stumps and low hanging boughs, makes it hard to swing..  I don’t believe the ring traveled real far because of weight,  going  to try to recreate throw today.  

I've found many lost rings for people over the years and I've yet to find one where they thought it went.  Example:  I was called to locate a guys wedding band.  After listening to what he said and the direction he knew the ring went, I started searching.  Maybe an hour later I gave up and ask him exactly where he was standing when he slung his hands.  Surprise the ring was where he was standing, within maybe 4 feet.  I could give more stories but that would be pointless.  Now, since you don't have an example of the ring to check what the numbers might be you'll need to dig everything, but remember it will be on top of the ground.  One more thing, hunt with your eyes, follow the traveling of the coil as you sweep.  Amazingly I found a lost ring doing just that and can truthfully say I spotted the ring before my coil even got to the spot.  I will visually scan a few inches ahead of the coil.   You can do this.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Propjob said:

...being a light metal...

Specific gravity of pure palladium is 12.0, which is more than lead (11.3).  So, yes, it's less dense than gold and its alloys, but still pretty dense.

• Like 1

Update on the search today.  No luck!  I detected around a large perimeter of the lawn where subject was standing. Nothing but some foil and in -ground hits.  This was on the lawn part!  Went out from the edge of the lawn into the brush wooded area ( covered with leaves)  and detected in grids, between trees and small saplings.  Extremely void of targets.  I threw a coin down to make sure detector was still functioning. To Mark's statement , yes the lawn did cover the area where subject was standing, I agree it could have fallen off but I am confident that was covered well.  If it went beyond the tree, which I believe the boughs would have slowed or stopped it, it would have landed in the leave covering.  I searched, as best as I could, about 50ft beyond tree and same to both sides. To your point GB_ .  Even something with that density could have landed up in the boughs.  Ironically, his wife, climbed up about 25ft to see if she could see anything. The biggest problem with shooting this site were trying to get under the small trees, and small stubble which hung up he coil. I did suggest that he call if he remembered any more .  He is pretty adamant that he felt the ring leave his finger. I wish I had taken a photo to attach>

Still Looking for Ticks!!!

You might want to barrow a small coil...... or even a second hunter.    I also agree...... in that some people THINK they lost it here...... but in fact thats when they realized it was gone.  I get that a lot on the beach looking for peoples rings.  You might want to find out what he was doing and where before he thought it went off his finger.   I think your sensitivity is still way to high...... back it down about 10 and reduce the smaller targets....... not running a pattern and low sensitivity for this hunt just wastes time that can be spent covering more  dirt.   You may have to come up with a system to grid most of the productive part of the yard before working the bush.   If it was in the yard........ you would be surprised how far they can roll.

I would scout all small ring sized targets and use your pinpointer to find it. Should be on top No need to dig anything.

I will give those suggestions a try.  I guess I haven’t as much experience wth rings on the move.  The person says he usually puts an elastic in front of the ring but this was more spontaneous,  An accident waiting to happen.  I have also reloaded my v2 update in case that might be an issue.  I will let everyone know if things work!

I also found a ring.Inside it says PD950.I brought it to a jewelery store.The girl said it was platinum.Her boss came over and explained to me it was Palladium.I asked him whats Palladium he said its high than gold!!PD stands for Palladium the number after that tells you how much is in the ring 95 is 95% of the kind of metal.