Garrett Apex Sneak Peek

Update 5/15/2020 - The new Garrett Ace Apex has been announced - Details Here!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, phrunt said:

The handle looks a fair bit better than the foam regularly used on detectors, probably with the battery in that handle.

So you like the ML Equinox grip??

Apparently, just as individuals have different preferences for shafts (straight, S-, etc.) we also prefer different handles/grips.  The Minelab Equinox has my least favorite grip of the detectors I own and the ML X-Terra 705 is my second least favorite.  I put up with them for a while but recently added a soft wrap used for tennis rackets to the Eqx.  I wish the grip's girth weren't so large but not much I can do about that.  For me (and I don't have small hands), the Fisher soft grips just feel better.  I've never swung a Garrett AT so don't know how well theirs would suit me.  Just another example of the old saying "different strokes for different folks".

Some of you were not around or may not remember the Ace release and AT Pro release. At the time of release those machines made vast jumps in what a person could buy in the way of features and power, at prices far lower than anyone else was offering. Garrett did not get where they are just with videos and social media, they did it by producing detectors and pinpointers that offered great value and sold by the van load. Other manufacturers looked on with envy, but seemed a bit clueless at producing competitive offerings. The AT series had the market to themselves for way longer than they should, and it was not until Equinox that something seriously competed with them.

Garrett, unlike First Texas, may be responding to the Minelab and Nokta/Makro threat by producing a detector that offers great power and features for a price that knocks our socks off. I’m thinking serious alternative to Simplex and Vanquish, although not multifrequency. Something that Garrett fans can flock to and sells by the van load.

Garrett Apex Data & Reviews

garrett-apex-metal-detector-logo.jpg

• Like 4

One game changer vs. Simplex at least (and any Garrett for that matter), is if the Apex included selectable single frequency a la the Anfibio and Multi Kruzer and if they were able to do it for less than say an Equinox 600, then that would fill a niche between Simplex and Equinox that was almost covered by Vanquish but which falls a little short because of its fixed ground reference and lack of even one single frequency mode.  If I've learned anything from Equinox, it is that Multi IQ is NOT a panacea for all detecting situations and am thankful to have a selectable single frequency mode on the Equinox and on my Deus/Orx for that matter.  Really comes in handy when interrogating some iffy targets and in some detecting environments it is actually preferred.  I'm thinking a tweaked AT Pro/Max/Gold that fixes iron tone, focuses on pro mode, repackages the control box into the lighter weight cell phone on a stick style and intuitive control ergonomics, and has the ability to use 5, 10, 20 khz (of course with wireless audio and rechargeable Li battery tech). Not sure it can be done from a business case/value perspective (especially if it "obsoletes" the AT series, but I would argue other detector manufacturers have done that to a certain extent) but it would be a game changer IMO if they could pull that off and then follow it up with a simultaneous multifrequency in a similar package a year or two down the road.  Their legion of brand loyal fans might be energized enough to dive in and "upgrade" their aging AT series detectors and the Ace crowd might also come along for the ride.

• Like 2

Guest Tnsharpshooter

What we don’t know is, is there multiple configs they will sell.  Could this new line if it is a line up take the place of ace series.  

Garrett did imo stretch their sales numbers time wise by being better st social media in the beginning.  Certainly not White’s or First Texas.  

They have had time.  This Apex or Apex line may have started being hatched before At Max was even started who knows.

Best wishes to Garrett and a successful launch.  This stinking virus probably has made it more difficult.

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked