Garrett Apex Sneak Peek

I had a spot, with scuba and a Garrett XL500 VLF/TR back around 1980-81. The sand was about 3-10" deep before you hit clay. Swimming beach since the early 1900's. It was basically virgin. A coin target every minute , guaranteed a gold ring every 15 minutes. After a week of underwater detecting. Had a 1 gallon bucket filled with coins, many silver, lots  and lots of sterling jewelry, two gold chains, roughly 80 gold rings. And most of all remember filling a 5 gallon pail with junk. Went back the following year and found a whole lot less. Cashed everything in and bought furniture to outfit my apartment. So it can be done, if you find the right spot. I have never found another spot like this.

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

12 minutes ago, Sven1 said:

I had a spot, with scuba and a Garrett XL500 VLF/TR back around 1980-81. The sand was about 3-10" deep before you hit clay. Swimming beach since the early 1900's. It was basically virgin. A coin target every minute , guaranteed a gold ring every 15 minutes. After a week of underwater detecting. Had a 1 gallon bucket filled with coins, many silver, lots  and lots of sterling jewelry, two gold chains, roughly 80 gold rings. And most of all remember filling a 5 gallon pail with junk. Went back the following year and found a whole lot less. Cashed everything in and bought furniture to outfit my apartment. So it can be done, if you find the right spot. I have never found another spot like this.

Was it   Lake Ontario too?

10 hours ago, phrunt said:

The guy's a machine, what's that, one target every 4 minutes! not only that he was in water with a snorkel and flippers, I believe that about as much as I believe I'll want to rush out and buy an Apex 🙂  Surely Garrett knew that was unrealistic, but they are all about talking it up.

Simon, I agree with you, the story has nothing to do with the capabilities of the AT Pro but merely tells us the guy is experienced at reading the beach, has swimming skills, knows how to use something that beeps at metal and knows how to recover that metal while wearing a snorkel and flippers -which is impressive.  We also didn't get a real look at his trash pile which I'm sure was just as impressive. 

But Garrett's facebook page is not unique.  Similar posts can be found on Minelab's, XP's, or Nokta's pages or websites.  People submit impressive finds and name the machine that did it (which again proves nothing other than the machine was turned on and they got the coil over the target) and the maufacturers will gladly link the pics for marketing publucity.  It is up to the knowledgeable detectorist to realize that the machines actually matter little in the success equation next to intelligent site selection (see Dances' post), experience, good coil handling and ground coverage techniques, and knowing how to use the tool which all increase the favorable odds "chance" much more than the brand or model # stamped on the machine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Chase  

You have to remember Garrett company is in Texas and made here too. That alone should say it all .

I’ve had Garrett before but never was any bought for me to coin hunt with. If I was to buy the Apex it would show miracles do happen. If it can read the date on the coin before I dig it then again miracles happen.

What I said before is I wish Garrett super sales on their new detector the Apex .

Chuck 

2 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

You have to remember Garrett company is in Texas and made here too.

Oh, Chuck, believe me - I know that because they take every opportunity to make sure that everyone is reminded of that fact (their fans included).  :laugh:

14 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

Was it   Lake Ontario too?

No, somewhere in between L. Ontario and L. Erie

• 2 weeks later...

Just read through the comments here and I would say Garrett achieved it's goal with the Apex tease and like it or not you can expect this kind of marketing from all the manufacturers moving forward. JMO....

1 hour ago, Dick Stout said:

Just read through the comments here and I would say Garrett achieved it's goal with the Apex tease and like it or not you can expect this kind of marketing from all the manufacturers moving forward. JMO....

Where do I go to lodge a complaint then.  This is unacceptable!

• Haha 1

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked