Sign in to follow this  
Bash

Parking Strips - The Gifts That Keep On Giving

That's pretty cool, by parking strip do you mean the bit of grass between someones front yard and the road?

I found a One Dime coin in New Zealand a while ago, in worse condition than your little scratch though 🙂 , mine has a nice banana bend in it... I can't work out how old it is but judging by the Target ID on the Nox I think it's silver.  What ID was yours?

IMG_20200424_113224.jpg.0d2e66f997d7b47aa46a7d724087a04d.jpgIMG_20200424_113232.jpg.c85cb760f2b5fda13f0788aa1a1d755b.jpgmir_20200424_113348.jpg.7c12efbb8d583d9ffb2e53ed6b2191b0.jpg 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, phrunt said:

That's pretty cool, by parking strip do you mean the bit of grass between someones front yard and the road?

I found a One Dime coin in New Zealand a while ago, in worse condition than your little scratch though 🙂 , mine has a nice banana bend in it... I can't work out how old it is but judging by the Target ID on the Nox I think it's silver.  What ID was yours?

IMG_20200424_113224.jpg.0d2e66f997d7b47aa46a7d724087a04d.jpgIMG_20200424_113232.jpg.c85cb760f2b5fda13f0788aa1a1d755b.jpgmir_20200424_113348.jpg.7c12efbb8d583d9ffb2e53ed6b2191b0.jpg 

Yes, that's it exactly. Front yard->sidewalk->parking strip->road. 👍

It was a solid 27-28. Very clear, and about 5 to 6 inches deep.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

So you can't read the date?  If the edge has a copper tone to it ('clad' means a sandwich of pure copper center and 25% Ni, 75% Cu outer layers) then it's the modern (after 1964), less desirable kind.  The eariler 90% silver, 10% copper more desirable coins read a bit higher in TID air tests, and maybe that carries over to your mild soil.  But in my 3-bar F75 Fe3O4 soil it's a mistake (IMO) to try and distinguish between the two.  Just dig it!

You seem to find more USA coins than I find NZ coins.  :sad:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bashin said:

An hour in the parking strip after chores yielded my first Barber dime.  Made a noob mistake and scratched the back a little.  But hey, I'm a noob!

Don't beat yourself up.  Lesson learned on a coin whose bullion value excedes its numistmatic value.  Still a nice looking coin you should be proud of!  Yes, those 'parking strips' (also known as 'curb strips') can be sleepers.  People getting out of their vehicles, sometimes searching their pockets for parking meeting fodder...  And many detectorists don't even think of them, and when they do it's almost an afterthought.

Keep thinking outside the box and you won't be a noob for long.  In fact, I'd say you've already graduated.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Don't beat yourself up.  Lesson learned on a coin whose bullion value excedes its numistmatic value.  Still a nice looking coin you should be proud of!  Yes, those 'parking strips' (also known as 'curb strips') can be sleepers.  People getting out of their vehicles, sometimes searching their pockets for parking meeting fodder...  And many detectorists don't even think of them, and when they do it's almost an afterthought.

Keep thinking outside the box and you won't be a noob for long.  In fact, I'd say you've already graduated.

Thanks for the kind words GB!  I'm happy with my progress so far.  I have about 30 hours of detecting in total, and every time I go out, it seems like I learn something new - whether it's discerning tones better, understanding the VDI more, coil control, or pinpointing etc.  I always learn something, and one of the reasons for that is the support and direction I've found on this forum!

I'm fortunate to be in an old neighborhood in Helena, MT, which at its peak, had more millionaires per capita than anywhere else in the US.  An affluent gold rush town. There are several houses within a couple of blocks, just on this one street, that were built in the late 1800's. Parking strips just seemed like a natural place to learn, and are proving to be quite prolific, especially now that I am starting to understand what to look for.

Anyway, thanks again.  Having a blast!

• Like 1

I think seeing you're buying a Vanquish as a loaner for friends and so on you'll be surprised how much you like it yourself.  For the casual coin hunt around here I use my Vanquish over my Nox 800, it's serving me well so far.  It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on it too, it's just so simple and easy to use and the pinpoint is very nice on it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I think seeing you're buying a Vanquish as a loaner for friends and so on you'll be surprised how much you like it yourself.  For the casual coin hunt around here I use my Vanquish over my Nox 800, it's serving me well so far.  It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on it too, it's just so simple and easy to use and the pinpoint is very nice on it.

Thanks!  I intend to order it this week!  I'll let you know how it goes.

• Like 1

That dime looks like it was in a hit and run!

Congrats on the Barber, thats in fantastic shape

• Like 1

Congrats on your first Barber Dime!   

Keep hitting those curb grass strips.

denny

• Thanks 1