White's TDI SL With Coiltek 17x11 Mono

Hi All,

Has anyone tried the Coiltek 17x11 Mono on the White's TDI SL?  Would really appreciate any feedback on it's performance.  Also, the Coiltek 14" round for the TDI?  If positive, I'll order one and report my findings in a couple of weeks. 

Maybe the battery mod later...  Also checking on the SteelPHASE SP01 to enhance the audio...they said it would help.

https://www.coiltek.com.au/coils/whites-tdi/17-x-11-whites-tdi-mono/

Much appreciated,

LStart

• Like 2

I have the TDI SL Special Edition that came with the MJDs 8X12" folded mono coil. I already had a Nugget Finder Sadie and I also had done the 14.8V battery mod which was super easy thanks to the great info on this forum. I was not impressed with the MJD coil and picked up a Coiltek TDI specific 11" round mono coil. The Coiltek TDI coil was very sensitive on smaller gold and could compete with the NF Sadie unlike the MJD. That is saying a lot because the 8X6" Sadie is a really good fit for the TDI SL power wise. Personally, I would not go bigger than 11" on the TDI SL. It just doesn't seem to have enough power for bigger coils. 

Ultimately, I have decided to sell my TDI SL. I need something that is more sensitive to smaller gold. I have been saving up for an SDC 2300 so, maybe soon.

Jeff

• Like 4

I have never used that specific made Coiltek coil on my TDI Pro but i do use a Coiltek 14x9 mono and that stays on the detctor almost all the time,i will highlight the fact that mine is the 'non' Whites TDI version but the GPX version which 'does' work straight out the box on the Whites TDI and they work very well as most of my coils that i own for this detector are the cheaper and easily available GPX coils.

The other main coil that i also use is the Minelab GPX 15x12 mono coil,that is slightly on the heavy side but i only use it for special occasions on say pasture sites,but got most of my large GPX mono coils dirt cheap brand new for the same price as say one specially made for the TDI range.

For real large targets ie coke can size and above i use a 18'' Detech GPX coil,that once again i bought brand new for peanuts as most folks want DD coils for the GPX,but work exceptionally well for my needs on the TDI Pro.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I have the TDI SL Special Edition that came with the MJDs 8X12" folded mono coil. I already had a Nugget Finder Sadie and I also had done the 14.8V battery mod which was super easy thanks to the great info on this forum. I was not impressed with the MJD coil and picked up a Coiltek TDI specific 11" round mono coil. The Coiltek TDI coil was very sensitive on smaller gold and could compete with the NF Sadie unlike the MJD. That is saying a lot because the 8X6" Sadie is a really good fit for the TDI SL power wise. Personally, I would not go bigger than 11" on the TDI SL. It just doesn't seem to have enough power for bigger coils. 

Ultimately, I have decided to sell my TDI SL. I need something that is more sensitive to smaller gold. I have been saving up for an SDC 2300 so, maybe soon.

Jeff

Let me know when you decide to sell, Jeff. My buddy, Dave, is casually looking for a TDI SL.

Jim

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Let me know when you decide to sell, Jeff. My buddy, Dave, is casually looking for a TDI SL.

Jim

It's on Ebay right now with just the Sadie Coil. Price is negotiable a little.

Jeff

Denver Colorado

• Like 3

Hey Guys!

Thank you so very much for your input. 

I already have a Minelab GM1000 (Usually w/ the 5" coil) for sensitive pickup of the small stuff.  So I was hoping the TDI SL could see a little deeper and pick up some larger stuff.  That's why the question about the Coiltek 17x11.  Also have the White's 12"x8" DD and the 7.5" round DD coils too.  If I could have jumped into the SDC-2300 or GPX-5000 level, I might not be trying to tweak the best out of the TDI SL.  But since already here, I have faith and we'll see how it goes.  🙂

The 17x11 is on sale and I'll make a decision to purchase or pursue the SteelPHASE SP01 Sound Enhancer.

Stay Safe.

• Like 3

LStart219,

I really liked the smaller Miner John 9X5 coil (I think that was the size) It seemed to be just about perfect for the TDI SL as is without the voltage mod.  RickUK can use those bigger coils since he has a very hot TDI Pro with the higher voltage from the factory.

If you are relic hunting you need a bigger coil like the 11" TDI Coiltek or maybe just a bit bigger. I don't know what Coiltek did to the TDI SL specific coils but they really are very good. Serious Detecting has all of them on sale right now in the Outlet section of their website.

From my experience, the TDI SL with an 11" or so coil will hit an .75 gram nugget easily in bad dirt at 8". Larger nuggets will be deeper hits. Anything much smaller than .5 grams much past 3" is not going to be detected unless you do the battery mod. The GM1000 and the TDI SL with the right coil should be a good combo. I still would not go much bigger than 12" averaged so the 17"X11" (14") without the battery mod may not go any deeper than the 11".................something to consider. I am speaking from experience here since I tried to use a Nugget Finder 17X11 on my TDI SL and it was no better than a Minelab Commander 11" Mono for depth and the NF 17X11 is a fantastic coil.

Jeff

• Like 4

Thanks Jeff,

Serious Detecting has the 17x11 in stock and on sale for about $262.75.  They said a few were sold and customers seem to have favorable things to say about Coiltek products, but SD didn't tell me anything more specific. 

Although Coiltek says the Minelab coils are compatible, I also don't know how the ones specifically for White's Detectors are different.

Take care.

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

It's on Ebay right now with just the Sadie Coil. Price is negotiable a little.

Jeff

Denver Colorado

I passed that on, Jeff...thanks! Don't know what he'll do. That's a very good price IMHO.

JIm

• Like 1

I got it for a very good price used. So, I am not trying to make any money. It has been a fun detector.