Park Hunting With The MDT

Denny

Hunted my favorite park this afternoon for about an hour.  After about 15 minutes I got a good hit swinging the MDT slower than usual. If I swing faster I don’t hear the target. Vdi was a 12-14 sometimes a 7, as I swept the coil towards the bottom of the hole swinging side to side the Vdi got higher 22-24.  Down at 7 inches I pulled up a dateless buffalo nickel. That was the only coin found. Dug 11 holes,  8 were iron, 1 cut up aluninum from a can, 1 piece of aluminum from a small screw in bulb.     Also dug up half of a key fob from Golden Nugget not deep  and a fleur-de-lis pin it was an eyeball find from the iron infested site.   Infested site ground balanced at 845 due to decayed iron in  ground.

park settings: sens 9, threshold-2, disc 0, blacksand ON, 

infested site: sens 6, threshold-2, disc 0, blacksand ON.

Denny

B6AE3E8F-69A6-4482-904A-CF71A052BF7E.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, kac said:

Does the black sand mode cut out chatter from the iron in the soil?

No.

I use blacksand mode to cut out EMI.  I could have switched blacksand mode off at the iron infested site but decided to leave it on as it wasn’t affecting my detecting.

• Like 1

Did you try just changing frequencies or frequency shift to eliminate emi?

I do that on my Multi Kruzer when near transformers.

1 hour ago, kac said:

Did you try just changing frequencies or frequency shift to eliminate emi?

I do that on my Multi Kruzer when near transformers.

I tried changing frequency didn’t work.
I could lower my sensitivity but that’s not what I want to do. I‘m after the deep silver.

Blacksand mode is what worked to keep MDT stable.   No loss in depth.  Some users hunt with some erratic behavior with blacksand off.   

Denny

Lower frequencies work better on deep silver but lower it is the harder it is to split out the iron. I do hunt in 5 khz on my Kruzer in Gen Mode (all metal) with a good deal of success but need to work slowly. Very gratifying when you pick out a dime below a big chunk of iron and watching VDI to see any # that is above the iron as an indicator of a masked object. Mid range 14khz works easier and little depth loss.

Is there a lot of transformers causing the EMI? One spot I had been hitting has a generator running for a school on one side, nursing home across the street with it's generator, transformers on the 2 roads as it's on a corner and if that wasn't enough there is a nearby cell tower. My poor Tejon just flutters and is nearly unusable.

• Like 2

I did want to add, it might not be emi causing the instability but maybe the soil itself so decreasing the sensitivity may not decrease the usable depth of the machine. If I blast my Kruzer in some areas in certain modes it will chatter so much because it is detecting too much of the ground and very difficult to ground balance. I find it just too hard to follow targets good and bad and have polluted id #s as a result. Nudging the gain down the targets are easier to reveal. Before I had my beach machine I used to use my AT Pro and the salt would drive it crazy. I learned that pushing a machine to try to gain depth when it is beyond the machines ability in certain conditions can be counter productive.

You could bury a few targets at different depths and see what might work better.

Usually EMI is easy to overcome especially when you have a wide range of frequencies to choose from like the one you have.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kac said:

Lower frequencies work better on deep silver but lower it is the harder it is to split out the iron. I do hunt in 5 khz on my Kruzer in Gen Mode (all metal) with a good deal of success but need to work slowly. Very gratifying when you pick out a dime below a big chunk of iron and watching VDI to see any # that is above the iron as an indicator of a masked object. Mid range 14khz works easier and little depth loss.

Is there a lot of transformers causing the EMI? One spot I had been hitting has a generator running for a school on one side, nursing home across the street with it's generator, transformers on the 2 roads as it's on a corner and if that wasn't enough there is a nearby cell tower. My poor Tejon just flutters and is nearly unusable.

There are  buildings with offices  so heavy  WiFi usage is an issue along with a few radio stations that broadcast from the tops of buildings.   I could hear music from one of the radio stations in my headphones and it is not the headphones picking up the music it’s the MDT. I could still hunt as the music is very low.     I didn’t have any issues with my CTX at this park. That machine cleaned up pretty good.

Denny

Wow, last thing you need is talk radio subtly converting you into some sort of fanatic while trying to relax and dig.

Wonder if you could make an emi shield of some sorts and cover the control box? I thought about something like that for my Tejon.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, kac said:

Wow, last thing you need is talk radio subtly converting you into some sort of fanatic while trying to relax and dig.

Wonder if you could make an emi shield of some sorts and cover the control box? I thought about something like that for my Tejon.

It’s ok I got used to it. 

No I wouldn’t want to make a emi shield on a $1500 detector.  I’ll just switch on blacksand.

Denny

• Like 1