Yes! New Coils For GPZ 7000!!!

58 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

How could you know one way or the other if the ‘chip’ can dumb down a coil on a GPZ, and if so why would ML even consider dumbing a coil down through the chip in the first place?

Hey JP and anyone else who considers this is what I was saying, I did not suggest the chip dumbs down the coil,  I suggested to have ML allow the  chip on the coil the coil had to be dumbed down to MLs specs, and that I understand is how manufacturing goes, the need for the coil to handle all ground types encountered by World wide users. No drama there as that will allow a coil with the chip to appeal to the wider market which is obvious from the wider markets reluctance to the patch cable. 

I trust this clarifies my thoughts and clears up any need for this subject to "get out of hand".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure ML (and NF), knows that the first thing that will happen with a new coils' release is that it will be tested and compared to an x-coil. Maybe dumbing down is an apt term but is carries a worrisome connotation in the world of comparisons.  

I think this needs clarification, firstly there is no connection between dumbing down and meeting proper electronic requirements and secondly the chip is an intentional security feature. I'm not sure if Minelab ever intended the chip to be offered to third parties but the lack of them supplying other coil options has created the demand if people are willing to go down the current risk path. More power to the brave if they are lucky enough to be working in ground that allows it.😎

If a coil does not reach correct electronic requirements how can that be considered an improvement except in specific areas? I've clearly demonstrated the issues related to this subject in videos placed on this forum.

JP

I agree Simon. Coils need not work well everywhere. We used to have mono coils for mild ground, DD coils for tougher ground, and Salt coils for the worst ground. If people can’t understand something like “recommended for low mineral conditions only” then too bad for them. I’d like “hot” coils for places that can tolerate them.

Hopefully we get some more news on these coils someday. Nothing new since December. Do you have to rob another coil on the security chip to make one of these coils work or not? Simple question, no answer forthcoming.

• Like 3

We used to have detectors with selectable soil timings and lots of other stuff to fiddle with that allowed you to adjust for changing soil conditions. In this area it's not uncommon to go from Serpentine to Shale to volcanic ash to washed gravel to clay to forest soil made of all the previous in different mixtures thereof all within an hours time.

I'm much too lazy to change coils and too cheap to buy them and I had to work for a living today so I'm grumpy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I understand MLs manufacturing detectors and coils for most gold conditions, as a manufacture myself, albeit a lot wee smaller than ML, I did the same with my RV/solar fridge/freezers, rather then build them with a fan forced condenser I dumb them down to a naturally cooled condenser, not as efficient but less likely to create problems down the track ie. more user friendly. Especially to prospectors who as I`m one are a wee rough on gear.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

Out of interest, what are the soil conditions like in Africa, Russia and other areas that Minelab say are their biggest markets, bigger than Australia for sales of detectors.  Are they all heavily mineralised? I guess the Middle East would have high salt content and they're a big selling area.  This is why I think coils for different markets and soil conditions would be good.

What are the unit sales in these areas or is that proprietary data only seen in the boardroom and not in investor info?