Is This A Meteorite?

Hello I am new to all this I was out magnet fishing and drug this in. It is very magnetic and i did grind it a little. I was thinking a meteorite but I have no idea really it might just be a chunk of scrap trash lol. Anyways here are some pics any help would be appreciated  it weighs 322 grams and I will put it beside something for size in pics. 

20200427_132053.jpg

20200427_132130.jpg

20200427_132115.jpg

Image_2020-04-27 12_56_13_314.JPG

Image_2020-04-27 13_01_39_144.JPG

Image_2020-04-27 13_45_36_376.JPG

Large amounts of silica/quartz has only been recorded as being present at any major level in meteorites since a recent discovery in Hawaii. Usually, non-metallic inclusions like the light colored sand looking material is calcium based. Those look like quartz to me. Otherwise, your specimen looks pretty good although that flat surface on one side and the ropy structure on the other side is a little unusual. Since it has been water worn some it is hard to tell. I would probably go with magnetite or some other magnetic iron ore or steel by product because of the quartz inclusions. I could be wrong..........! What state was this found in and what kind of meteorite history is there in your area?

Jeff

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

silica/quartz has only been recorded as being present at any major level since a recent discovery in Hawaii. Usually, non-metallic inclusions like the light colored sand looking material is calcium based. Those look like quartz to me. Otherwise, your specimens looks pretty good although that flat surface on one side and the ropy structure on the other side is a little unusual. Since it has been water worn some it is hard to tell. I would probably go with magnetite or some other magnetic iron ore because of the quartz inclusions. I could be wrong..........!

Jeff

Thanks for the info would have been awesome if it was!

13 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Large amounts of silica/quartz has only been recorded as being present at any major level in meteorites since a recent discovery in Hawaii. Usually, non-metallic inclusions like the light colored sand looking material is calcium based. Those look like quartz to me. Otherwise, your specimen looks pretty good although that flat surface on one side and the ropy structure on the other side is a little unusual. Since it has been water worn some it is hard to tell. I would probably go with magnetite or some other magnetic iron ore or steel by product because of the quartz inclusions. I could be wrong..........! What state was this found in and what kind of meteorite history is there in your area?

Jeff

I live in eastern oklahoma dont really know the history on that stuff

This is where we need Fred's expertise!

• Like 1

I think you have some iron ore there, there is no fusion crust, and like Jeff said the magnified photo seems to show silica or quartz and you will not find quartz in a meteorite, unless it is an extremely rare one. They are out there, keep looking. ht 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hardtimehermit said:

I think you have some iron ore there, there is no fusion crust, and like Jeff said the magnified photo seems to show silica or quartz and you will not find quartz in a meteorite, unless it is an extremely rare one. They are out there, keep looking. ht 

Thanks for the info better luck next time. 

• Like 1

Yes, Fred will be missed here on the meteorite forum.  He watched it much more than I do as well.

Marchel, if you are magnet fishing what do you normally find?  I don't know if Steve would add a forum about it but I'm sure you could add some pics to this thread.

The reason why I ask is that when you do find a meteorite it will have much less of an attraction than your normal iron/steel objects.  If it sticks really hard to your magnet it is likely not a meteorite.  That is something the internet can't do yet is give you the feel of a meteorite on a super magnet.

A couple of the other factors that make your find not a meteorite was that it has no 'entry surface' (fusion crust) and there are no inclusions on your ground surface.  Don't expect a meteorite to be an extraordinary 'rock' in appearance.  They are rather ordinary until you understand what you are looking at.

Look at some of the other threads here when people asked 'Is this a meteorite?' and you will see some and see many meteorwrongs too and you'll also get some of Fred's good advice.

Mitchel  

• The title was changed to Is This A Meteorite?