Five Minutes To The Gold Fields

strick

Very nice, I think you should take that catchy title and write the book yourself Strick!

• Like 1

Funny thing now is I get more excited when I hear a nice low tone in the 12-08  12-12 range then when I hear a high tone in the12-42 range.  Been passing up coins for pull tabs. The necklace ringed in at 12-10 and it was in the kiddy sand box area just barely under the sand. Looks like I'll have to spend more time playing in the sand box from now on.

strick

• 1 month later...

More treasures from the local gold fields with my trusty CTX 3030 sniper rifle. You can always tell when a park has been hunted by others..... not that many high tones. But that's ok because none of the gold rang up high. The cross is marked 925 on the back and weighs close to an ounce. The 31 diamonds appear real as I looked at them under a microscope and there are no scratches and lots of glitter. The bottom rock is missing. What I'm not showing is all the trash I dug for these few good finds. How does one get diagnosed for OCD?

strick

post-351-0-28634500-1446908209_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-78527300-1446908221_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Wow...nice work man.

Are they difficult targets by your estimation or is it that most people just ignore the gold/pulltab targets generally? Or both?

If its anything like my parks,most people cherry pick for quarters and maybe dimes.If you find lots of nickels,you can bet other detector folks are cherry picking, so be on  watch for gold, but you will need to dig the tabs and chunky foil items too...Strick..did the chain make a chattery signal or a solid beep?

• Like 1

The chain made a solid beep. But it was shallow.  One thing I've noticed with the ctx is that the target trace is very helpful in determining how dense a target is. Anything that shows up in the 12.05-12.22 range and shows some density I dig. Since gold is more dense then aluminum you have a better chance. The little gold wedding band (2.8 grams) in the photo above showed up well on the target trace even though it was about 6 inches deep. There is a program that I really like you can find it at Findmall in the CTX section.  It's called "Doc's Ferrous coin" The low tones hit really well with this program. The only problem is that zinc pennies sound like dimes and quarters so you have to watch your display. I've notched out the zinc a little and it helps but I'm still digging a few very corroded zinc pennies below 12.30.

Jasong- Like Ivanwho says most people dig the high tones and I don't know that there are all that many serious gold hunters that visit the parks. The little gold pendant above was a weak 12.04 but showed some density so I went ahead and dug it. I sounded just like a lot of small aluminum trash that I dig. It's really a numbers game. The more you dig the more you find.

I found a small virgin park today (with a basket ball court) off the beaten path.  Already got lots of coins, one silver ring and a few other little trinkets. I was only there an hour and a half. There are so many high tones around the basket ball court that I need to put on my small coil  for the next visit....tomorrow

strick

• 1 month later...

" I was strolling in the park one day....in the merry merry month of........December"  when I got a weak 12.04 signal on the CTX..  I dig down  a few inches and hit a 3 inch diameter root. Pinpointer says it's under the root. So after some prying and digging and thinking to myself probably another piece of tin...out pops a cute little gold ring. 14K  So after congratulating  myself on a job well done I covered the hole and stomped the dirt a little...then out of habit (thanks to my fellow prospectors) I ran the coil over it again and get another low tone. This time it's so weak it does not register on the CTX screen. Back to digging I go and under the same root about 2 inches from the first ring out pops a nice 10K gold ring with a cute little rose on it. 

I think to myself "why would two gold rings be lost so close together? "  Lovers quarrel thrown on the ground to consummate the end of a relationship? Stolen property? or simply forgotten during the heat of passion?

It sure is fun when you finally find that elusive GOLD.

strick  

post-351-0-56358300-1451500835_thumb.jpg

• Like 6